Instinct Solar - 16.44 Public Beta

Hello Instinct Solar customers,

Please read the 'notes' and 'installation instructions' in the 'Updates and Downloads' page found in the link below. We look forward to your feedback!

Instinct Solar: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15393 

Note: Please allow for the updates to propagate across all servers. There is no need to post that the link does not work. It will after a bit of patience.

16.44 Change Log Notes:

• Made improvements to altimeter calibration.
  • Fixed explore course sync issue.
  • Fixed issue where CPE status would incorrectly appear as expired.

New Software versions listed are in red.

System Software16.44

GPS5.40

Sensor Hub13.00

For any issues that you encounter, please send an email to [email protected]. In your email please include the software version, and a detailed description of your issue, along with any steps to reproduce. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you

• Connected via Bluetooth

This is obviously the problem with you. Garmin apparently queries the position of the cell phone and compares it with the DEM (digital elevation model) data of this position. I suspect that this process has priority, and the lock of the altimeter is thus canceled. However, this is only a guess. Anyway, the nightly calibration of the altimeter is based on DEM calibration using the connected phone.

My test rules out autocalibration because my Bluetooth is disabled as described. My test should only show the behavior WITHOUT an auto calibration.

I was also in town today with 16.50 (RC) installed and the barometer mode now works correctly. As you can see, my altitude is a continuous line at 45 meters, while the pressure has changed.

This was not correct with 16.44 beta.

Now with 16.50 Barometer Mode is correct !

Additional information : a pressure change of 1 hPa corresponds to elevation change of about 8 meters.

• Thank you so much for that, it makes sense what you are saying. Hopefully they will come up with a fix, as I do a lot of traveling and don't want to have to manually change between barometer and altimeter. At least if you choose between the two it works as intended but not in auto mode. 

• On the nightly setting does it mean it will try and calibrate the sensor during the evening and auto it will continuously try and calibrate the sensor? Both through DEM?