Garmin Instinct Solar Inconsistent Intensity Minutes

Second Garmin Instinct Solar.  First one did not record intensity minutes.  Second one does record SOME intensity minutes but it has a mind of its own.  Daily walks almost carbon copy from day to day, at least 3 each day of about an hour each..  HR very much showing the same daily pattern.  However, the watch recorded one day 68 minutes and the next few days nothing.  It makes absolutely no sense.  To make it even more puzzling, I have a Garmin Vivosport with identical HR settings, zones, etc. and it records intensity minutes without failure (under identical use).  Can anyone bring some light to this matter?  Maybe Chris at Garmin? I have plenty of information on Garmin Connect for them to take a look and see exactly these inconsistencies.

• You are right.  Without HR on Garmin will use an algorithm based on steps taken/per unit of time.  Those intensity minutes are just a guess.  I can never make it work with HR on, unless a manual activity is started.

• I cant seem to get any intensity minutes without recording an activity, even then i don't always gain any. I've tried adjusting the heart rate zones but still won't get any unless i really push myself which you can't always do if just walking. My Vivoactive 3 & 4 always gave me intensity minutes even without recording an activity. Strange

• I also have an Instinct Solar. It seemed to be doing fine until a few weeks ago. It had recorded two weeks' worth of intensity minutes. We went on a two day backpacking trip where we were out of cell range. When I connected the watch when we were back it briefly showed an increase from the weekend, then showed two dashes, then moved all two weeks' worth of intensity minutes into one week-- it now says I have zero minutes for one week and almost 1000 for the next. This week (the following) it recorded intensity minutes for one activity and hasn't registered another minute since, despite having recorded several activities where my heart rate was elevated.