How do you retrieve GPS locations for logged fish catches?

Using the Fish activity, when I catch a fish, I log the catch.  The watch tells me the catch and location are stored.  When I upload the activity to Garmin Connect, the fish catch locations aren't visible (at least that I can see), either on the smartphone app or via the website.  They don't show up on the Fish Map screen of the watch.  They aren't in the Navigate -> Locations waypoints screen of the watch.  What is the point of logging the location if it isn't readily accessible anywhere, or if it is, how do I view them (preferably in the context of a map)?

Top Replies

All Replies

• So this is somewhat strange - I received an email that this question had been responded to.  But the answer isn't here.  The response was to use Garmin Explore or Basecamp, which are interesting (and applications I had completely overlooked as integrating with my watch).  But the data does not show up there.  The only waypoints that show up there are GPS waypoints that I create by holding the GPS button to log overall location (not activity specific).  So I'm still at the point where the watch claims it logs the location of my catch, but no app can display it..

• Yes, it was me posting it, but then I realized exactly what you described - that although Explore & Base Camp store waypoints, they won't show points of an activity. And since I know nothing about the Fishing Activity (not having it on my Instinct), I removed my post, because it was not helpful.

• Share a link to one of your fishing activities - I'll check the background JSON data, to see whether the waypoints can be pulled out in a different way.

• You are correct that logging a fish catch does not also send you saved location information to Garmin Connect if you saved the location. The ability to save the location is strictly meant for you to route back to that same fishing spot. Please note, the waypoint/saved location information is not directly tied to the catch itself that you are logging while using the fishing APP.

To route to the saved location to go back to a fishing spot, you will do the following:

While fishing, to route back to a fishing location saved, do the following:

- Hold down your middle left menu button

- Go down and select Navigation

- Select Saved Locations

- You will now see that saved location and you can choose "Go To" if you want to be routed to that saved fishing spot

• I'm a little confused by your answer.

When I press "Log Catch", my counter increments by one and the screen displays "Fish and Location Saved".  If I then goto Navigation -> Saved Locations, there are no entries saved or showing for me to navigate to.  The only way that I can get a saved location to show up is to press the Save Location entry (either in the Fish activity or just saving a general location via GPS).

I don't really care if the location shows up in Connect.  But I would like it saved as a waypoint that I can later import into GIS software.

So this seems like a bug to me - either the location should be saved as a waypoint when a catch is made.  Or the language of "Fish and Location Saved" should be changed to Fish Count Saved and it should be noted that you manually have to also go to Save Location.  I don't know why those two functions wouldn't be combined into logging a catch, though.

• I double checked on my Instinct Solar in the Fish activity and I see what you are saying. I apologize for overlooking the message wording the first time.

You are correct in your observation. The message being displayed is wrong and is an error. It should say, "Fish Saved" and not "Fish and Location Saved."

You must select "Save Location" while fishing to keep the waypoint of that spot.

Instinct Solar Going Fishing

I have sent you a private message to collect further information to get this wording corrected on a future Instinct Solar software update.

• Went fishing and Yup it still says location saved when you log a catch, went to get my waypoints and nothing:(. It does seem to record laps in Garmin connect so if you go to the time of the "lap" you maybe can pull it from the track at that time, not sure.   Would love if this recorded a waypoint though, will not use the fish mode again.. Also wish the instinct had the fishing calendar thing on it somewhere.

• Would love if this recorded a waypoint though, will not use the fish mode again.. Also wish the instinct had the fishing calendar thing on it somewhere.

It would be awesome if it recorded a waypoint that you could see on Connect. I agree, the hunt/fish widget should be released for Instinct too! To me it's their most outdoorsy watch...

• I got the opportunity to use the fish activity today and it worked ok. It would be much better if a logged fish catch showed up with a lap icon on your map in connect. The gps is already active, so storing the coordinates in the activity in a similar manner to a lap shouldn't be difficult.