This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct Solar Surf Edition - Show Tide Data When Bluetooth Drops?

I have an Instinct Solar Surf Edition, which I bought specifically because it advertised the ability to show tides.

The problem is, shortly after the watch loses Bluetooth contact with the phone, the tide widget shows "no tide data". This isn't very useful when you're on the way to the beach and you've left your phone at home (so it doesn't get wet or stolen...), or if you're already out on the water and want to check conditions.

The irony is, if I'm in bluetooth range of my phone...I would use my phone to check the tides. The selling feature of the watch, or so I thought, was the ability to check the tides when you can't have your phone by your side. As it is, the tide feature isn't very useful in practice for my application.

Is there any way to get the watch to continue showing the day's tide data even when it goes out of range of the phone? It would also be nice if it were possible to load the tide tables a few days in advance. I only wear the watch when going to the water, so it's not near my phone most of the time, and I was hoping to be able to just "get up and go" and have the tide data on the watch.

thanks!

• Well at least you guys can get a tide reading...I have yet to get a tide from my watch that I have had for a week or so...I have approached Garmin with no reply...The sync function also seems to work when the watch feels like it despite having the iPhone in the same hand as the watch and the phone confirming that the watch is connected. I agree with you guys that the tide has to be shown independently from your phone...my rip curl watch manages it no problem...I now have five photos of error screens to send Garmin if and when they reply...my impression is one of a very fragile watch with very fragile software

• Hi, 

I’m a UK surfer using the solar surf. How do you find it’s accuracy when in surf mode?

I find it really bad, very disappointing to be honest. It records paddling as waves etc etc. I had hoped the recent software update would fix it but no. 

I surfed yesterday and know I had 10 or so waves yet the watch says 30+ given the conditions and where I surfed that is not the case!

@Garmin and ideas in a fix? And yes I’ve tried your website suggestions.

disappointed.

S

• There are non smart watches from the 90s (see Freestyle, Rip Curl etc) which allow you to input a location and receive accurate tidal info for the life of the watch. Likewise, I grew up with free booklets that have the info published by year at the ~county level. These are known values that can be predicted decades into the future like sunrise and sunset - predicting tide is not at all like predicting the weather. It shouldn't be too difficult for a $450 wrist computer to save these data and continue presenting them rather than referencing the same data hosted on some website multiple times a day before letting you see it.

Edit: that being said, I just saw your later post and absolutely agree if you're moving a lot within a short time period you may need an update... Depending on distance and coastline characteristics!

• I really wanted a surf instinct too, but after reading the tide data requires a phone connection, that's a big deal breaker.

Rip Curl still make a great tide watch. Their current GPS 2 tide watch has tide data at 1400 locations worldwide preset into the memory requiring no phone connection, and you can set it to custom beaches if your beach isn't preset. It also has basic gps activity tracking like garmin for surfing, running etc. If you do connect your phone it'll also tell you swell and wind at your beach. I'm sure it doesn't have other bells and whistles garmin does, but if off-line tide data is important the rip curl watches are excellent. It's usb rechargeable and it's US$300.

• I just purchased this watch and Im having the same issue. The tides on the watch is totally inaccurate comparing with the tides where I live in California. The hours and the size of the tide is totally out . I already contacted Garmin and they said the last update 12.20 should solve my issue. However even with the update still the same. If they don't fix in a few days I will definitely return. Its a Solar Surf edition and the tide is inaccurate, this is insane.

• I also just bought a Solar Surf and although it was showing tides for the first week or so, it stopped doing it a few days ago. In the app, there is no Tide activity or widget. Should there be one? I simply can’t get this thing to work.

• My phone always by my side, and it doesn't show tide data too!

• my solar works the first time, it stored 29 days. but never shows more days after that time. Tide data works frequencely . ready to returned it

• Same problem “no tide data”. The watch sucks.

• Just got the Instict Solar Surf watch. I am having the same issue. The tide data shows up when I go to the specific tide data part of the watch by navigating from GPS.. etc. But on the my main watch face, it keeps showing "no tide data". My watch is connected to the phone using BT. Has this been resolved? Thanks