Wrong distance with Ultratrack mode

I have set up Ultratrack mode for GPS for my Hiling activity. When I record my 11.5km long hike it shows distance over 500km and second hike (cca 20km) shows distance almost 1000km. But when I check my trip on map then it seems to be OK. The path was not smooth and exact but the deviation (of recorded GPS path and real way) was max 20m. Any ide what is wrong?

• 3rd try and distance value for 2km long trip was 15km. I made GPX export and then import as new activity and distance value was 2km... I am trying to explain it to Garmin support but without success (they reply me twice that UltraTrac has low accuracy but it saves battery:)

• I am tryin to explain same thing and they give me back same answer.

I factory reset watch and currently using GPS mode for all activities to "calibrate" whatever needs to be calibrated.

I did 8km walk today with GPS mode enabled, tomorrow I will walk same path with UltraTrac and send it to them. 

Just for test I walked 8km with Forerunner 245 and Instinct 2 on same time, FR245 was 200m off but that is to be expected because is not straight walk, Instinct was 9km's off :)

• After 11.18 update things are looking better. When using UltraTrac for hiking it is constantly adding 80-100m/1km. So 6km walk is 500-600m off, and there are more spikes. Again if I export as *.gpx and import back I get right distance.

Do you think it is using running stride length for hiking? I did not format  after update, I ran approx. 200km in one month since format using GPS mode only. I wonder if I would change Custom Stride Length in Garmin Connect would it made difference?

• I did a few walks using UltraTrac after update to 11.18 and need to say so far it looks promising. Distance may be off by a bit (can see it on map) but not adding those hundreds of kilometres finally. Might be it's fixed finally, fingers crossed

• Do you think it is using running stride length for hiking?

I am not entirely sure, but it is possible - as I wrote earlier in this thread, the SDK refers to running and walking stride lengths. However, I did not manage to get any value from the walkingStepLenght variable on my Instinct 2, so it may be available only on some devices, or only under certain undocumented circumstances. Or maybe I was just not patient enough. The runningStepLenght is available on my I2.

The problem with the UltraTrac was that it continued calibrating even in the UltraTrac mode, which progressively broke the calibration that was previously established. So often the first few kms were ok, but with each of them the calibration distance got longer and longer, finishing in unrealistic lengths.

I wonder if I would change Custom Stride Length in Garmin Connect would it made difference?

No, the Custom Stride Length would not play a role. Its sole purpose is the calculation of the daily distance in the steps stats. See the article Improve the Activity Tracking Accuracy of an Approach | Garmin Customer Support

NOTE: Custom Stride Length distance is only for the activity tracking distance (your daily step distance) and it does not have any bearing on distance calculated with non-GPS type activity apps like treadmill or indoor walk.

• After one week watch it seems calibrated itself. It now shows exact distances with Ultratrac, points are not exactly on road but total distance varies 100-200m for 8km hike, I can accept that and it is useful now.

Off topic, pool swimming distance is now also accurate.

They did good job with 11.18 firmware, I think I will turn off software updates for now, because everything that I am using now works.

Thanks for support Slight smile