This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct 2S Solar crashing randomly

Hi,

yesterday my watch crashed during trail running and then couple of minutes after the activity. The latest crash was last night and I lost sleep data. Is this software or hardware issue?

BR,

Janne

• The only thing that has solved this for me is to periodically manually delete the history.  I feel there is certainly a design flaw with the memory on this device. There is not enough of it and it is way slower than what was on my 745.  For a device with insane battery life, the designers seem to have not thought people would use it frequently and/or for longer activities.  Between this and the compass not working, I kept debating whether to take this back and get a 955 solar, but unfortunately I waffled too long and am outside REI;s return window.  I have owned Garmin since the Forerunner 105 and never had this many issues.  I love the concept it just seems the implementation needed a bit more thought.

• Thanks for confirming my workaround and hypothesis as well!!

I hope they can at least add in some sort of feature to automatically upload your activity, and then delete it afterwards to free up space, or alternatively have a daily history clearing of sorts when you're asleep? Assuming that is the issue at least..

• Garmin is probably not addressing this error. It's been about 3 months now, a soft reset once every 4 days helps and it's OK. Otherwise, the reset is fast, data is not lost and it is only during synchronization. Probably only devices with NFC payment. Unfortunately, there is no data on heart rate, body battery, etc. Fortunately, no activity.

• I have an Instinct 2s, so no NFC on my device. :/

• It doesn't have to be that.... it's very annoying.

• I can announce that my watch had a crash with the NFC disabled. But instead of daily crashes, I had now had only one crash last week.

I have the feeling that the Garmin APAC team is in a high panic mode because they have to fit more data (longer utf8 strings) in a hardware design that was designed to hold a short utf8 string. Almost all the debug logs that were posted had an out-of-memory code.

Good luck Garmin.

• yes, after I removing NFC card, my watch had only one crash just after my walking, but it didn't crash while running/ walking or bicycling.

• Thanks for reading the debug logs!

At least we seem to be on the right track, perhaps, though I wish would give us a new update?

Doesn't have to be a PR update, just regular update from the engineering team if anything would be great..

• I am sorry there is no new update to give on the issue. If I see an update from engineering that is helpful or when the issue is final resolved, I will update my main post seen at the top of each page beneath the initial post that started this thread. My sincere apologies the issue continues for those experiencing it.

• I see, thank you anyway! ^^