This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Night Sleep Data gets replaced by daytime "sleep"

The problem is that in some cases a normal sleep recording is replaced by a very short nap and totally screws all connecting data like the recovery status.

Garmin now says that this is by design, which makes no sense at all.

• there is no way to determine someone’s stage of sleep short of recording brain waves activity,

There's enough research out there to suggest otherwise. While the gold-standard might be assessing brain wave activity, sleep stages can be estimated using other methods such as pulse wave analysis via optical sensors, or multi-phase acceleromotry 

Whether Garmin is any better or worse than other companies is a moot point. Short of direct comparison of sleep cycles from OHR with sleep lab data, there is no objective way to verify any watch's data. Again, research is divided on which model is best depending on the research article read.

Clearly, there are problems for some people with Garmin's sleep recording. But that's not the same as saying it's a problem for everyone. As is often the case, a few people posting problems here might not be representative of the Garmin watch user population overall.

"Garmin doesn't record naps" is also definitely wrong

Garmin might not record naps directly but I have found when I have a nap that my Body Battery has flattened or its rate of decay has lessened. So there is something being noticed and recorded in the metrics.

• With the most recent beta, watch will vibrate when detects napping. No napping for you! Smiley

• As is often the case, a few people posting problems here might not be representative of the Garmin watch user population overall.

This might be true but on the other hand not all users are not even aware of this forum, some of them just accept that fact and do not write anything here about it, and others do not care since no big impact for them.

previously when on Fenix 6 (same issue) I did not care, the sleep data was just data and yes it could be interesting but it did not have any impact on my watch’s functionality 

However, with Epix 2, I started to use Race day widget combined with its daily suggestions. As you might know the training readiness is highly impacted by the sleep quality and a low training readiness will change the daily suggestions.

Thus when have short naps that REPLACES better sleep same day then the daily suggestions will change to e.g., suggest a recovery run instead of an interval or tempo run and this is the BIG problem; the functionality no longer works as intended 

If I wouldn’t have used training readiness nor daily suggestions then the faulty sleeps probably not would have matter so much.

To summary if not use the functionality impacted by these naps then probably no big issue, and if no big issue you will probably not report it even if it may exists on a lot more watches than Garmin might be aware of.

• I'm fine with Garmin's sleep tracking as long as the data doesn't get overwritten by a software hiccup and is lost. Sleep data's become too important to just shrug that off. But they're working on it and I've found a temporary solution that I can live with for now (taking the watch off while I'm on the couch Smiley). 

• I don't do naps. Stuck out tongue I never managed to nap just right, either ending up with no or too much sleep, so I haven't tried in 15 years. 

• SETM Did I write this? Your post could easily have come out of my mouth/brain. I don't expect anyone to observe as carefully as I do, so I suspect you are right that many don't notice it, or just shine it on, not bothering to report it.  Further, I think it's kind of funny that the watch thinks I want to hire it as a coach. People pay me money to coach them, so I'm not likely to put my own training in the hands of their dumb bots! Especially when so many of us observe that the data they report is faulty, so GIGO Garbage In (yields) Garbage Out. 

• Sleep times under 3 hours should not record as sleep and replace your prior night's sleep.

This 3 hour threshold was implemented subsequently.

It did NOT exist in the beginning.

What was the reason for introducing this threshold AFTER the fact?

• Apparently the latest beta has fixed some sleep tracking issue. I hope this will fix this issue and avoid the bad sleep score impact it has had so far.

In the graphs below, all points with a value of 50 and below are bogus. As you can see, it happens more than once a week.

• So, do you guys sleep better after a sleep related fix in beta?

• I do not sleep better or worse after the fix but the watch seems to think I sleep better. It looks promising with no false sleeps so far but I have to give it some more time to be certain