Hello Fēnix 7 and Epix customers,
The next public beta version is now available for your watches!
This update, v8.18, is a Release Candidate. "Release Candidate" means that this exact software version is planned to “go Live” as a public update as long as no critical issues are observed. All copies of version 8.18 will be identical, so there are no differences in functionality whether you install version 8.18 as a Public Release Candidate or wait for the update to be a Live public update.
If you’ve participated in the Beta Program with previous Fēnix product lines, you’ll notice a few changes from how we have managed this in the past. And further down the line, we’ll have some additional improvements to the Beta Program (more on that later!) Notably, the fēnix 7/Epix watches use one single update file to update system software and peripheral updates (GPS version, Wireless version, etc.) So you no longer need to install multiple update files. Additionally, this forum post is now the primary resource for reading the change log notes – they are not available on another webpage. (There will be more options for viewing change logs after we implement the additional improvements to our beta program.)
The links to download the software update are listed below. Select the link specific to your watch model: fēnix 7X, fēnix 7, or fēnix 7S. Please note that your computer will download a .zip file when you open this link.
- This zip contains the software update and instructions for installation in the 'Read Me.txt' file. We have also provided a folder with the files necessary for backdating software, and instructions for this process if you choose to do so. Remember, backdating software will reset all settings.
- Please note: the included secure_config.gcd file should also be installed to your watch. This file will enable a few "beta features." For example, it will provide you with the option to reboot your watch (turn off and automatically turn back on). It will also automatically generate some files if you encounter certain issues. In short, if you are using beta software, you should also always have this file installed: it will make your use of the watch easier, and make it easier for you to report issues in software.
- Please email the Garmin Outdoor Quality Team if you find issues in software after installing this update: [email protected]
Use these links to download the zip for your watch to update to the latest Beta software:
Change log for version 8.18 (changes since v8.16):
- Added prompt when accessing PulseOx glance when wrist heart rate is turned off.
- Fix potential freeze when sending an InReach message.
- Fixed potential shutdown when navigating a round trip course.
- Fixed a potential shutdown when editing wind in Jumpmaster.
- Fixed UI flow issue in Jumpmaster when altimeter calibration is set to "Nightly."
- Fixed erroneous InReach searching after completing a Health Snapshot and having previously paired an InReach device.
- Fixed some minor watch face UI issues.
- Fixed issue where pace and heart rate audio prompts were only giving averages.
Instructions for updating software:
- Download the .zip specific to your watch, using the links above.
- Connect the watch to your computer.
- Following the included 'Read Me.txt' file, install the included gupdate.gsp file to the Primary\Garmin folder on your watch.
- Disconnect the watch from the computer and it will prompt you to update software.
After updating, your watch will be running the following software versions. These can be confirmed on the Menu – System – About pages.
- Primary Software Version: 8.18
- This is the number on the very first About page. This number should always match the “Host” version number written on the 5th About page.
- GPS: 2.32
- Wireless: 24.61
- Sensor Hub: 18.02
- Touch Screen: 3.02
Garmin Outdoor Quality Team