Watch counts steps and floors during driving

HI,

The fenix 7 counts steps and floors sometimes during driving. An easy fix for this would be to allow the user to disable activity tracking (preferably from a hot key) so steps and floors aren't counted while driving.

Please add.

• One stretch of my commute is a freeway constructed from concrete panels. Driving across the expansion joints that separate the panels produces the rhythmic motion that the watch interprets as walking. It's where I pick up hundreds of steps every day, along with the occasional floor or two climbed or descended due to elevation changes in the area and an elevated freeway transition.

• Please re-read my post before commenting.

I said the Apple watch was **MOSTLY** immune to these issues. At no point was I implying that it didnt have **any** issues. You're creating a straw man here.

It's not a matter of totally eliminating the problem, but perhaps reducing it.

I had a chance to side by side compare them on a road trip. My wife has the second to latest Apple Watch model. We were both in the back seat - neither of us was driving. In this scenario, Apple miscounted far fewer steps than my Garmin did.

• Please re-read my post before commenting.

I said the Apple watch was **MOSTLY** immune to these issues. At no point was I implying that it didnt have **any** issues. You're creating a straw man here.

It's not a matter of totally eliminating the problem, but perhaps reducing it.

I had a chance to side by side compare them on an extended, non-stop road trip of several hours duration. My wife has the second to latest Apple Watch model. We were both in the back seat - neither of us was driving. In this scenario, Apple miscounted far fewer steps than my Garmin Phenix 7x Sapphire did.

• Seems like a pretty simple solution.

If my watch knows that 1 step equals 2.7' (thats what I programmed in), and I am racking up 6 steps or more per second to ignore the count, unless it is turned on to track an activity.

• I tested my AW against my Forerunner 265 on a 1 hour journey. The AW didn’t register 1 step and the Forerunner added over 500. I was a passenger the entire journey and did my best to resist movement.

• I’m so confused my watch does this. Years ago I had a freaking xiaomi band for like under $30 which apparently was smarter than my smart watch for $600. And okay, bugs happen, I’m a software engineer myself, I totally get it. But  it had been years since this issue was addressed and nothing changed. No fix, no patch, no update. I mean this is ridiculous. I switched my Apple Watch SE2 for Garmin Instinct 2 and it feels like downgrade so much, even cutting Garmin some slack (well, a lot of slack) because of battery life. And those solutions are crazy. Oh, Garmin fails to track when you go to bed (which was not a problem for a $30 band) - just use sleep schedule, and if your sleep is irregular (e.g. you swap nigh&day sometimes) - *just assign a sleep mode to hot key*. Garmin tracks road bumps as steps - *just assign “stop tracking” to a key*. Jesus, is it a smart watch or a clicker? I should press the hot key every time I go to bed, every time I get in the car, every time I get out of the car. Maybe I should assign my hot key to “count 1 step” and press it every time I make a step, what the ***? There’s no chance I’m buying Garmin ever again. I’m just glad that I didn’t

• Yup, I've stopped bothering to even report this stuff.  It's pretty clear that all their development is focused on adding new obscure activities that apparently someone cares about rather than making the features they advertise work right.  There are so many fundamental problems that haven't changed in decades that I have zero expectation they'll ever be addressed.