Fenix 6 Series - 20.87 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please email the Garmin Outdoor Quality Team if you find issues in software after installing this update: [email protected]

If you’ve participated in the Fenix 6 Beta Program previously, you’ll notice a few changes from how we have managed this in the past. And further down the line, we’ll have some additional improvements to the Beta Program (more on that later!) Notably, this forum post is now the primary resource for reading the change log notes – they are not available on another webpage. (There will be more options for viewing change logs after we implement the additional improvements to our beta program.)

The links to download the software update are listed below. Select the link specific to your watch model. Please note that your computer will download a .zip file when you open this link. This zip contains the software update, as well as a folder with the file necessary for backdating software, and instructions for this process if you choose to do so. Remember, backdating software will reset all settings.

Use these links to download the zip for your watch to update to version 20.87:

Change Log for version 20.87 (changes since 20.86):

• Fixed issue where the Sleep Widget was not accessible when Widget Glances were turned off.
  • Fixed intermittent issue where shutdowns would occur in the strength Activity.
  • Fixed intermittent issue where stress and sleep data would not get properly collected.
  • Other minor improvements and bug fixes.

Instructions for updating software:

1. Download the .zip specific to your computer, using the links above.
  2. Connect the watch to your computer.
  3. Unzip the folder and copy the included gupdate.gcd file (from the System_x.xx folder) to the Primary\Garmin folder on your watch.
  4. If there is a Sensor Hub_v*** folder, place the gupXXXX.gcd file into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder of the device. Please note, not all Beta releases will include an update.
  5. If there is a ANT_BT_BLE_v*** folder, place the gupXXXX.gcd file into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder of the device. Please note, not all Beta releases will include an update.
  6. Disconnect the watch from the computer and it will prompt you to update software.

After updating, your watch will be running the following software versions. These can be confirmed on the Menu – System – About pages. New versions are indicated in red.

System Software: 20.87

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 18.00 *If you have been participating in the Beta Program, you may already have this sw
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.15 *If you have been participating in the Beta Program, you may already have this sw
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.01
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

• Any garmin developer here? I have suggestions. Please, add a manual change of exercise to your strength training and counting the series of a given exercise. When I choose free training, I need the number of sets in a given exercise, e.g. a bench press 5 series 5 rep, not the total number of all sets. It's nice if, in addition to the button for the next series, there is an active button for the next exercise and data fields for all series and series of the exercise. Sory for poor english

• Thank you development team! Installed, and happy to see that the sleep widget is fixed such that it is visible without using widget glances. And as usual, having high hopes for the 'other minor improvements and bug fixes'.

Edit: The bug in the barometer widget display (no min/max if diff >10 Mbar) isn't among the minor fixes, so we'll just have to wait for the major overhaul and refactoring of the entire system, I guess.

• Is anyone from Garmin ever going to comment on the battery drain issue? 

• The intervals feature has been broken since 20.60.  i.e. it works on the watch, but Garmin Connect doesn't divide up a workout between Run/Recover intervals in either the app or web site.  I've got track day scheduled for tomorrow- will let you know.  (yes, I've reported this twice to the beta team)

• It's a user forum. They may comment but they don't have to and probably won't. I have no battery drain issue so it is not like everybody does. If I were you I would 1) make sure your expectations are reasonable - batteries deteriorate over time, is you battery life so bad??? 2) delete any CIQ stuff and see if it helps (like for computers, add-on software is most of the time the cause of this type of issue, no the OEM FW), and if it is very bad 3) hard reset the device.

• Unfortunately of the sleep fixes there's still no fix for the missing sleep movement chart in GCM

• I am not sure if that is a bug or actually intended this way by Garmin, since as it appears the watch stores locally the information in a different way than before (following the analista by other users).

Nevertheless, the information is available in connect web so it's actually available to be shown in GCM I guess...

I hope they introduce it back again, given the quality of the sleep staging... That was almost the most interesting thing to look at to check how the night went, as I suppose the "movement" data are more like raw data rather than treated and filtered by calc algorithm 

• I wonder... There will be any stock watch faces update after introduction of IQ system 5? This has been done on the Fenix 7, would be nice to see something new on F6 as well (actually, the perfect one for me would be the stock wf of the Fenix 7 as it is now, with 6 data fields around, digital clock and 2 additional areas for data that can be customized with different fields numbers or graphs... But I understand this is unlikely as it would further decrease the possibility that I upgrade to the F7 Smiley )

• how bout something easy as utc +/- zones on stock watch faces? :) they still haven't messed up the stock watch faces. I reckon it's about time Joy

• For the majority of people there is no battery drain issue.  And as others have noted this is a user forum, not staffed by Garmin employees so they are under no obligation to reply at all.