Fenix 6 Series - 20.50 Public Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

20.50 is our public release that will be rolled out in phases starting Monday, February 14th. We’ve posted it here for our forum users who wish to install it immediately. This release is only a version bump from 20.42 - 20.50, so there is no change log between those versions.

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

20.50 Full Release Change Log (Since v20.30):

• Updated the software update process to allow the user to defer the installation. This replaces the automatic install during the user's sleep window.
  • Improved robustness of nightly altitude calibration.
  • Fixed an issue on non-music devices that could cause a disruption of various metrics after being plugged into a computer.
  • Fixed an intermittent issue where the device would freeze when starting a round of golf.
  • Fixed issue that could cause altitude graph to flatline.
  • Fixed issue that would cause device shutdown when editing HIIT data fields.
  • Fixed issue where the device would create empty golf scorecards.
  • Fixed issue where the activity timer could be enabled on the Map-App.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11** ANT/BLE/BT v6.15 will be rolled out to the public in an upcoming release and is therefore not included in these files. If you have already updated to 6.15 via the 20.42 beta, there is no need to backdate. If you are currently on 6.11, you will need to wait for the next beta release in order to update to 6.15.
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

We know this post states it is a public release, yet the URL states it's a beta.  This is simply a method of delivery for public beta.  We use the same channel and therefore the 'beta' term follows each of these links.  We only note it is a public release so that you are aware it's the version to go live to the public. 

• Same problem. Volume control does not work with my Bluetooth Speaker. I hope they fix it 

• Hi, i run a test by now with a bluetooth headset and speaker because usually  i only use keys on it.

F6Pro 20.50, bluetooth firmware 6.15

- Headset, Aftershokz Aeropex, it's working inside or outside of an activity ()

- Speaker, UE Boom 2, watch volume control is NOT WORKING, i discover this issue :-)

• Same problem. Volume control does not work with my Bluetooth Speaker. I hope they fix it 

bugs will never be fixed if people provide such low quality bug reports!

At least include your brand and model number and firmware revision of the bluetooth device - Garmin are not mind readers!

Tell them what firmware revision volume did work for you.

Include the ANT/BT firmware version on your watch e.g 6.11, 6.15 etc

Help Garmin to help you!

• i think it unlocks the altimeter even when just entering widget glances. i know what you mean. but i don't think it makes sense. let's say you stay at a place where you know the exact altitude before an activity. you set the correct altitude. the algorithm takes a certain time until it switches back. so for example you enter 1030 feet of elevation. you will not start with this elevation. because a few minutes after that, it will be on 1035 or 1025 feet. 

• Garmin never mention Speaker bluetooth device compatibility but only Headset ... i don't know if this could be an explanation.

i don't know if this is what you encounter

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=FnVJLBvvw51RfH3OE2YUO6

https://support.garmin.com/en-SG/?faq=Ei9hOoQIVL1UsQLQqm21G8

In the config guide, only headphones mention : https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/fenix66s6xpro/EN-US/GUID-C79FD0B-518C-4249-8680-CBEA69FC05A7.html

• A little about the altimeter. Something like FAQ.
    1) You need to know the current sea level pressure in your area. If the city is large enough, then usually this data is available on weather websites.
    2) The barometer needs to be calibrated. Specify the exact height and pressure at sea level. This can be done both outdoors and indoors. Manually or through DEM all the same.
    3) Personally, I turned off automatic calibration. But the calibration "every night" remained. Once in a new place for the watch, you need to calibrate the altimeter in the evening. It looks like it will calibrate to that altitude every night after that. Of course, this is not very convenient when traveling, but if you need the accuracy of an altimeter, you will have to endure it.
    But I do not know what to do for those who spend the night in a car, train or plane. I think that I will have to calibrate the altimeter once at the destination.
    4) In the "every night" mode, before starting the activity, the watch asks for confirmation of the altimeter data. Very often at this moment a very strange altitude is shown. In this case, it is not necessary to calibrate the altimeter! After that, he will go crazy. Press the back button and select the activity again. From the second time the number will be correct.
    It is possible that in the "auto-calibration" mode, the clock is calibrated and goes crazy.

After completing these points for a day of trips around the city, the altitude drifts within a few meters, which is quite acceptable. Tested on firmware 20.42 and 20.50.

PS: If someone has "plateaus" in the altitude chart during the activity, it is necessary to switch the altimeter from the "auto" mode to the "altimeter" mode for the duration of the activity.

• Nice analysis, thanks.

For what concerns the during activity setting, it would be nice to have the possibility of setting the sensor mode at the activity level separately so that when starting any activity it goes to altimeter only for the duration of the same ,or even in each single activity separately

• Do you remember which beta? After 19.20? I did remember drift on 19.20 but I did not focus too much on the altimeter at this time. I am using a widget from NAVICOM that display raw pressure, sea level pressure and altitude. I don't know if it has the same drawback as Garmin altitude widget.

• I noticed that...so now that I've copied the 20.50 files on my watch..not sure if there'll be a mix of stuff since I come from 20.42 vs the non-beta users that just wait for official releases ? 

I really hope Garmin Devs to interact more on this forum since we are in free of charge ... so at least as matter of courtesy and (non monetary) reward,...

• ANT/BLE/BT v6.15 will be rolled out to the public in an upcoming release and is therefore not included in these files. If you have already updated to 6.15, there is no need to backdate. If you are currently on 6.11, you will need to wait for the next beta release in order to update to 6.15.