We need a third Altimeter option

Tired of Garmin breaking software that works!

I have auto calibration “on”.

I live at 175 meters, but I’m waking up at 455 meter every morning. And yes, every day!

Calibration before sleep doesn’t help. 

Through the day the altimeter is not adjusted to correct level at all. So it seems like auto calibration doesn’t work, accept in the night and then to a complete wrong altitude.

I don’t want to set correct the correct altitude every time I’m stating the GPS. 
I want it to be like before, where “off” is off, and no promt to add correct altitude before staring a activity.

I find it strange that this is so difficult to fix for Garmin. 

GCM has location set to “always on” on my iPhone, so I can’t understand way the app doesn’t update the altitude from the app.

• It seems a DEM problem since it gives the same altitude each night.

I live in a 4th floor and the altitude is shifted by several meters, besides I live in a hill with a poor DEM resolution and depending on the phone location fix the error could be enormous The only  solutions was to disconnect the phone from the Fênix during sleep hours.

Check where you phone usually pinpoint your location.then using GCM start a fake course. You can check the expected altitude and using a fake GPS put your phone in the correct location.

Personally the new algorithm is working well in activities. Yesterday did a hike near the ocean with very credible altitude.

• Same issue here. Whether it’s DEM that is broken of the new software but during the night the watch sets to 470m instead of 600m the correct value it use to adjust to… 

• Not sure about problems with DEM, because manually calibration with DEM from the watch are working fine, and are spot on the right altitude. 

• As far I understood

Night calibration is GCM based using phone location.

Fênix calibration uses watch internal DEM after GPS fix.

• Zero problems here. It works fine as in 19.20 release, my location is 222m above sea level and my watch shows 222m, sometimes 220m but for me it's ok

• Ok, not easy to understand this at all:)

But my phone is giving me the correct altitude, eg in Garmin Explore. 

But certain I understood your tips

• Oh yes. Right.

Mine was with perfect elevation with all final and beta FW till the 19.20 and then ...

Everything is wrong.

Except when I launch an activity: autocalibration immediately at the start to the good elevation. Then altimeter is ok until the next morning: bang, wrong altitude (at about 3 or 4 oclock am) when I wake up.

(setting to auto calibration and auto sensor on my watch, dunno the exact words in english sorry. But if I change the setting, it's the same)

I've listening Garmin and tried manual calibration before going to bed: nothing.

This night, I've shutdown bluetooth link with my phone and *miracle* my elevation is 100% right this morning !

GCM is the problem ?

F6pro with 20.30 and iphone 8 with ios 15.2.1 here

I'm living in south of France à 136m of elevation (and every morning, my watch tell me I'm at 55m).

• I have a F6X Solar with no issues the watch it is always calibrate correctly at DEM level (Street level 54 meters) since I’m leaving on the 3rd floor which is actually 12 meter above the DEM (66 meters) but this is normal expected behavior since the calibration it is on DEM. And be honest I don’t really care that it is not taking into account that I’m leaving on the 3rd floor.

Some friends they had problems but we found out that the problem was on the iPhone settings and not on Garmin side and they manage to solve it. Like application be allowed always run on background, location always on and on precisions setting.

• I have auto calibration “on”.

I live at 175 meters, but I’m waking up at 455 meter every morning. And yes, every day!

Calibration before sleep doesn’t help. 

I had similar issues with the same settings. I had a thread started a couple of days ago, but no luck in that thread.

What I have done that almost solves it for me,
    (1) Go to the navigation app, and erase ALL of the saved locations.
    (2) Then into the "light on" menu and use the "save location" option, and simply save my home location. That triggers a GPS reading, don't know if it has something to do with it.

The height from the GPS was spot on, 55 meters for my home.

(3) I then powered the watch off, and then on again.

Now, my readings is 55 meter plus/minus 2 meters, and has been so for almost two days.

(I have noticed the the barometer chart is very "noisy", and not as smooth as it was before the 20.30 update).

(Edit:Spelling)