Fenix 6 Series - 20.00 Public Release Candidate

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

20.00 Change Log Notes:

• Added ability to turn off recording an activity during a golf round.
  • Added an alert to notify user when battery is critically low during a music sync.
  • Added HRV Support from chest strap for Yoga and breathwork.
  • Added pop-up to Pulse Ox Measuring feature if the device detects too much movement and cannot get an accurate measurement.
  • Added support for new biking activity profiles: eBike, eMTB, Cyclocross, Gravel Bike, Bike Commute, Bike Tour, and Road Bike.
  • Added support for the HIIT activity profile and workouts.
  • Added support for the Pickleball profile.
  • Added support for the Padel profile.
  • Added support for the snowshoe activity profile.
  • Added support for the tennis activity profile.
  • Added new tips to indicate which activities support Incident detection.
  • Improved accuracy of Surf wave count algorithm.
  • Improved Explore Sync app waypoint load times.
  • Improved Lactate Threshold and Altitude Acclimation algorithms.
  • Improved measurement loading UI when taking an SpO2 measurement.
  • Update the altimeter’s auto calibration to be either be “On” or “Nightly”. Setting to “On” will calibrate at night, activity start, and continuously during activities. Setting to “Nightly” will set the device to only calibrate altitude at night. (Models without DEM maps will not perform continuous calibration during activities)
  • Fixed issue with alarms intermittently not going off when the device is set in Max. Battery Mode.
  • Fixed display issues on the device after navigating to a point initiated by the Garmin Explore App.
  • Fixed issue where selecting a single point on a map that contained multiple items would not display the items properly.
  • Fixed issue that would corrupt open water swim activity files.
  • Fixed issue where PacePro bands would not be recognized by the device.
  • Fixed issue with updating aviation data over wifi.
  • Fixed issue with activities reporting incorrect Activity Calories and Training Effect data.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line

We know this post states it is a public release candidate, yet the URL states it's a beta.  This is simply a method of delivery for public beta.  We use the same channel and therefore the 'beta' term follows each of these links.  We only note it is a public release candidate so that you are aware it's the proposed version to go live to the public.  

• Question - has the issue with nightly altimeter calbration not working when the watch is in nightly battery saver mode been resolved? If so, how?

Also, with this update, do we no longer have the ability to have nightly automatic calibrations, without continuous activity calibration? I Like to use the former, but not the latter. So I prefer them being separate settings.

• The new Surf 2.0 algorithm has been excluded from this beta?

• Update the altimeter’s auto calibration to be either be “On” or “Nightly”. Setting to “On” will calibrate at night, activity start, and continuously during activities. Setting to “Nightly” will set the device to only calibrate altitude at night. (Models without DEM maps will not perform continuous calibration during activities)

So there is no single "only on activity" setting? So basically its getting wrong readings at night and it corrects them if I do an activity? And if I don't do activities it keeps getting a wrong reading at night?

Nightly calibrations makes no sense for me, 40m above ground, in my room without GPS reception, no connection to the phone.

Only thing that makes sense for me is during (or at the beginning of) activities. And now it always miscalibrates at night? Or wastes battery until (hopefully) a timeout trying to acquire a GPS fix (or what ever you guys thought it should do).

• Good catch.  Added to above but not beta url.  Will do so upon public release.

• "Fixed issue that would corrupt open water swim activity files" , is something related to short distance reported on OWS?

forums.garmin.com/.../fenix-6s-open-water-swimming-under-reporting-distance-pace

• So there is no single "only on activity" setting? So basically its getting wrong readings at night and corrects them if I do an activity? And if I don't do activities it keeps getting a wrong reading at night?

Nightly calibrations makes no sense for me, 40m above ground, in my room without GPS reception, no connection to the phone.

Only thing that makes sense for me is during activities. And now it always miscalibrates at night?

And I'm the opposite - I would like to have nightly calibrations, and start of activity, but not continuously during activities. That's why they should keep it the way it was, with those settings independent instead of combined into one setting. I don't see how combining it was beneficial for anyone.

• Thank you again development team, for keeping this device updated!

Update the altimeter’s auto calibration to be either be “On” or “Nightly”. Setting to “On” will calibrate at night, activity start, and continuously during activities. Setting to “Nightly” will set the device to only calibrate altitude at night. 

Does that mean that there is no option of disabling auto calibration at night at all?

To disable nightly calibration; what is the effect of switching off the phone (when no Wifi enabled on watch): will that leave the current altimeter value intact, or will it calibrate to a default or random value?

With 19.78, auto calibration to ON and the phone off at night, the altimeter works quite well and I want to keep it like that. I won't install this version unless phone off at night is guaranteed to leave the altimeter calibration alone.

• Well "only nightly" seems to be an option, but no mention of "only activity". Seems like a huge waste of battery resources for a reading that is always going to be incorrect in my case (however its going to try to achieve it anyway).

What's it supposed to calibrate to anyway that is not completely BS?

• All set. Thank you for letting us get this version through the forums ! :-)

• Or do what I do :) I have my watch go into battery saver mode when I sleep. No phone connection :) Going to test it tonight, because it worked a charm when I used to do it before and saves power.