Fenix 6 Series - 19.74 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

19.74 Change Log Notes:

• Added ability to turn off recording an activity during a golf activity.
  • Added an alert to notify user when battery is critically low during a music sync.
  • Added HRV Support from chest strap for Yoga and breathwork.
  • Added pop-up to Pulse Ox Measuring feature if the device detects too much movement and cannot get an accurate measurement.
  • Added support for new biking activity profiles: eBike, eMTB, Cyclocross, Gravel Bike, Bike Commute, Bike Tour, and Road Bike.
  • Added support for the HIIT activity profile and workouts.
  • Added support for the snowshoe activity profile.
  • Added support for the tennis activity profile.
  • Updated the altimeter's auto calibration to be either "On" or "Nightly". Setting to "On" will set the device to periodically calibrate altitude throughout the day. Setting to "Nightly" will set the device to calibrate altitude at night and before the start of an activity.
  • Improved Explore Sync app waypoint load times.
  • Improved Lactate Threshold and Altitude Acclimation algorithms.
  • Improved measurement loading UI when taking an SpO2 measurement.
  • Fixed display issues on the device after navigating to a point initiated by the Garmin Explore App.
  • Fixed issue where selecting a single point on a map that contained multiple items would not display the items properly.
  • Fixed issue that would corrupt open water swim activity files.
  • Fixed issue where PacePro bands would not be recognized by the device.
  • Fixed issue with activities reporting incorrect Activity Calories and Training Effect data.
  • Connect IQ improvements and bug fixes.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• Fist of all, when I charge it my watch does not always show the same interface, sometimes goes into the pie graph with a big battery % in the middle, sometimes only shows a small overlay on the top part of the screen (similar position / dimension as the the "phone diconnected" notification).

I would guess you see the large interface when connected via USB to a computer with a Garmin device mounted and explorable / file system accessible. The small overlay with numbers you see when connected to a USB charger - if so this is the behaviour this is normal.

However if the behaviour changes with a USB cable when connected to a computer this could be a sign of faulty cable or faulty connector, some cables can only charge, others can charge and pass data. I don't think this is related to beta software either way.

• Thanks!!

I'll pay more attention to this, but on first thought... now that I think about this, if my memory is not betraying me all I described happened when charging at work (like yesterday, which means on my laptop USB), not sure about the wall charger but this could actually be it, when charging at home I do use a wall charger... will check what shows up with more attention.

This I think could close the first question, and could also be related to the other... maybe having the watch charging up while also connected to the PC puts in some way the HR statistics to sleep? Not that I would consider this normal behaviour, but at least would rule out the "happens randomly" conclusion, would become a repetitive behaviour.

I will check what happens next time.

• I've noticed that with the latest beta firmware, the watch is recordings thousands of steps during driving, way more steps than on previous versions.

• New HRM-Tri works with 19.21, old strap isn't found anymore. Seems defective. Reading all the postings here I also consider avoiding Betas now ... / I don't need most of the new activities etc 

A working backup/restore procedure would be great. A watch that is able to store and sync gigabytes of data (maps, music, tracks, routes ...) should be able to read/write a defined config-file or a set of those.

The mentioned restore with copying the fit-files in didn't work for me.

And it isn't clear to me if I have to restore the stored directory-structure or only the "*.fit*" files (tried both without success, had my settings etc set up in half an hour manually ...). This just as a sidenote here.

• This thread has some instructions on what files you need to restore, and even though it's about 2 years old I think it's still relevant...

forums.garmin.com/.../1015462

• Regarding your warranty if you choose to install Beta software:

- When you install Beta software, it will not alter your warranty. You will remain under the warranty given with your watch.

• So "at your own risk" basically means that Garmin isn't responsible for lost data, etc, that might result from faulty beta firmware, but if it bricks the watch then it's still covered by any warranty that might be remaining. Seems fair enough.

Always a good idea to backup your files and settings on the watch periodically (even if you aren't using beta firmware)

• I think it is better you send an e-mail to all Garmin support teams around the world to be sure that all know what you wrote here ;)

• Thanks Chris and thanks for great work in this thread.