This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Please bring back Temperature sensor in swimming pool activity!!

In version 18.80, Garmin has decided to deactivate the Temperature sensor. I use this information in swimmnig at pool because the data provided is pretty reliable, while in other activities the temperature is affected by the body heat and is not much useful. For me, knowing the water temperature of the pool is a valuable information to interpret the training (too hot = poor performance)

• A Tempe ANT+ external temperature sensor, worn close to the watch, works well also in pool swim mode.

• Agreed!   Love having real-time water temp at the pool.  Among other things- helps me to correlate how I feel with OWS, and I can use it as an excuse for being slow.  (our summer outdoor pools get very warm)

Real-time temperature display does work for OWS, and every other activity that I've tried.  

Makes it sound like there's a sliding door or physical port that opens inside the watch?  sure- that's possible I guess- but I just sorta' assumed that the thermocouple is mounted in a way to expose it to either air temp, or case temp of the watch itself.  Just seems like a strange answer?  unless powering the thermocouple (tiny current) would create some galvanic response with the chlorine?  I dunno.  this just doesn't make any sense to me.  Nevertheless- I too am sad to see the function removed from my watch.

• Maybe in pool because in open sea is working 

• Maybe in pool because in open sea is working

correct.  temp works in all other activity profiles, including OWS.  really doesn't make any sense to me.  

• We understand it was deliberate. Please at least give users who want it the option to turn the temperature sensor back on. I found it useful to have a record of pool temperatures.

• Please at least give users who want it the option to turn the temperature sensor back on.

Here's the problem with allowing a user option. Garmin has stated they found if the barometer/temperature sensor is active in the pool activity, the chemicals found in a pool can damage the sensor. My assumption is it's chlorine related.  Anyway, most countries have a 1 year warranty and several countries have a 2 year warranty.  It would be foolish of Garmin to allow such an user option if they believe it would make the watch susceptible to damage by pool chemicals where they would then be liable to replace it. 

• Maybe because it's not a thermocouple but a pressure sensor with temperature compensation. Like the one produced by infineon. 

• Still how is the watch protecting the sensor if its inactive? Its still the same exposure to the elements, active or not.

• Still how is the watch protecting the sensor if its inactive?

I don't know. It's possible when the sensor is active it causes a static charge that reacts with chemicals and promotes or accelerates corrosion.  Can either of us say we know for certain there's no difference when the sensor is inactive? It's been a long running issue for years on several forums about chemically treated water possibly be the cause of the barometer/temperature sensor failures.  Garmin may have confirmed this or they may just have high suspicion.  There's no reason to believe they just did it for the sake of doing so.