Fenix 6 Series - 19.20 Public Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

We understand this post of 19.20 is in reverse of what we usually do, but nevertheless, we didn't want to miss an opportunity to post the public release candidate, which is now rolling out to 20% of users. We know many are eager to begin using this update. Enjoy!

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

19.20 Change Log Notes:

• New Adventure Race activity: This new activity prevents use of GPS data fields for navigation, allowing the watch to be used in adventure racing and orienteering races where GPS devices are not allowed.
• Added new workout animations which can be updated with Express or a Wifi sync.
• Added the ability to rate the perceived effort and feel of a Run, Bike, or Swim activity. The prompts appear during activity save. Go to [Activity] Settings > Self Evaluation for options.
• Added sleep tracking widget with sleep score and insights by Firstbeat AnalyticsTM.
• Added metabolic calories into the total calories reported in the calories data field and recorded in the activity file.
• Added setting to enable/disable workout audio prompts.
• Automatically disable Battery Saver when battery sufficiently charged.
• Updated workout audio prompts for hundredths distance precision.
• Updated Intensity Minutes determinations to align with guidance from CDC.
• Improved feedback on stress level readings.
• Improved calorie calculations for activities using a power meter.
• Improved results for daily Body Battery calculations.
• Improved visibility of Climb Pro alert page.
• Improved power meter calibration and settings.
• Improved Body Battery estimation when the device is powered off for a long period of time.
• Fixed issue where compass would become unresponsive during SUP activities.
• Fixed issue with manual time setup during initial setup.
• Fixed display issues when editing data field layouts.
• Fixed issue where recovery sets would not be properly displayed during workouts.
• Fixed issue where a Suggested Workout could draw with a nearly blank diagram.
• Fixed issue with editing data screens for Ultra Run app.
• Fixed text truncation issues when calibrating altimeter or barometer for some languages.
• Fixed issue with default FTP value for XC Ski.
• Fixed issue with distance to green layout while using 'Big Numbers' mode in golf activity profile.
• Fixed potential device shutdown while using ClimbPro.
• Fixed an issue where some training metrics were not updated after downloading stored heart rate from a capable chest strap.
• Fixed issue where the LAP key may not advance workout step.
• Fixed issue where Treadmill distance/pace would not record if watch was also connected to another nearby training device.
• Connect IQ improvements and bug fixes.
• Other minor improvements and bug fixes.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

• Garmin has been playing fast and loose with cut and paste. There is a bit of a mishmash of inappropriate references to candidates and betas. 19.20 is neither.

19.20 is a production release which, unusually, has also been made available for manual installation to speed availability to those who care while rollout continued for everyone else.

FWIW I've been running a manual install of 19.20 for over a week on my 6X Pro Solar and power consumption continues as normal at around 7% per day including recording training and walking activities.

• A release candidate is not a final release but normally proceeds a final stable release.

A Garmin release candidate is typically (almost always) identical to the final release, and even has the same version/revision number. If one installs a release candidate, and Garmin later releases it as a public update, they will not get the public update, because they already have it, so installing the public release firmware on top of it would be redundant.

This might be different than how other companies do it; some companies put out release candidates, and then the subsequent public update has a slightly higher version number, and would get installed even for those who already have the release candidate firmware, even if there were no actual changes to the code. But historically that's not the way Garmin does it. The release candidate firmware always is the exact same files, same code, same version number as the final release, unless they catch critical bugs in between (which has happened once that I know of).

It's also worth noting that Garmin doesn't always put out a release candidate at all, before releasing the public update. They have been doing it more often recently, but many times in the past, the only way to get the stable release firmware was to wait for the OTA public update.

• Garmin has been playing fast and loose with cut and paste. There is a bit of a mishmash of inappropriate references to candidates and betas. 19.20 is neither.

19.20 is a production release which, unusually, has also been made available for manual installation to speed availability to those who care while rollout continued for everyone else.

FWIW I've been running a manual install of 19.20 for over a week on my 6X Pro Solar and power consumption continues as normal at around 7% per day including recording training and walking activities.

thanks for the clarification and explanation dude. Appreciate it.

• A Garmin release candidate is typically (almost always) identical to the final release, and even has the same version/revision number. If one installs a release candidate, and Garmin later releases it as a public update, they will not get the public update, because they already have it, so installing the public release firmware on top of it would be redundant.

This might be different than how other companies do it; some companies put out release candidates, and then the subsequent public update has a slightly higher version number, and would get installed even for those who already have the release candidate firmware, even if there were no actual changes to the code. But historically that's not the way Garmin does it. The release candidate firmware always is the exact same files, same code, same version number as the final release, unless they catch critical bugs in between (which has happened once that I know of).

It's also worth noting that Garmin doesn't always put out a release candidate at all, before releasing the public update. They have been doing it more often recently, but many times in the past, the only way to get the stable release firmware was to wait for the OTA public update.

ok thanks.

i wasn't quibbling about version numbers etc. I was just literally trusting their use of established terminology.

To me a release candidate is pretty much close to a final release i.e. it's good enough to put out publicly, it's 'better' than a beta (though might actually be a beta in terms of no further changes) and it's a means of catching any bugs which weren't detected in previous testing.

It doesn't guarantee it'll be the final release but may well be (as you say). Equally well, it might expose a previously unknown issue.

Cool and noted. Cheers.

• Unfortunately, battery life since update is extremely bad. 3 days and I'm down 70% to around 20% left, with very little activity. Previously, I would be down only 40-50% for similar activity. Fenix 6 Pro, no other changes to settings since update and did a restart of the watch a day after the update.

• I just posted as well below on the terrible battery life after the 19.2 update. A shutdown and start via the watch interface didn't do anything to helping with this. I've lose 70%+ battery in 2.5 days, where normally I would have lost only 40-50%

• I just posted as well below on the terrible battery life after the 19.2 update. A shutdown and start via the watch interface didn't do anything to helping with this. I've lose 70%+ battery in 2.5 days, where normally I would have lost only 40-50%

ouch! And i think the Pro has a bigger battery than my S too.

Averaging out my battery performance logs (just home made notes), i'd say i previously got, for 50-60% consumption, +/- 3 days endurance. If it was less than 3 days (say 2.5), it would be because i'd done a 3-4 hr GPS tracked hike and probably a couple of tracked meditation periods. Maybe even some short HIIT periods (5 min stuff).

This isn't perfectly consistent but a reasonable overview of performance.

• Interesting to note, I usually see about 5 - 6 days normally with (4 or 5 tracked workouts - no GPS) before hitting the 15% alert. When I'm sitting around after 3 days I should be at about 50% left on the watch. Today I'm at 18% with one 40min GPS session that had little impact to battery. I've now tried the "soft" reset and just tried the "hard" one described in earlier messages. Not sure why this should be necessary with software updates...and if so, Garmin software should auto restart the watch as needed after an install. In the past some software releases had pretty bad battery life also until another release fixed it. I've never needed to do any restarting...seems like poorly designed install/maintenance process if it isn't a firmware issue.

• It would help if you specify which model you have. A 6X would use less of its battery per hour than a 6 or 6S.

• I already stated that I have a 6X Pro Solar.