Fenix 6 Series - 19.20 Public Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

We understand this post of 19.20 is in reverse of what we usually do, but nevertheless, we didn't want to miss an opportunity to post the public release candidate, which is now rolling out to 20% of users. We know many are eager to begin using this update. Enjoy!

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

19.20 Change Log Notes:

• New Adventure Race activity: This new activity prevents use of GPS data fields for navigation, allowing the watch to be used in adventure racing and orienteering races where GPS devices are not allowed.
• Added new workout animations which can be updated with Express or a Wifi sync.
• Added the ability to rate the perceived effort and feel of a Run, Bike, or Swim activity. The prompts appear during activity save. Go to [Activity] Settings > Self Evaluation for options.
• Added sleep tracking widget with sleep score and insights by Firstbeat AnalyticsTM.
• Added metabolic calories into the total calories reported in the calories data field and recorded in the activity file.
• Added setting to enable/disable workout audio prompts.
• Automatically disable Battery Saver when battery sufficiently charged.
• Updated workout audio prompts for hundredths distance precision.
• Updated Intensity Minutes determinations to align with guidance from CDC.
• Improved feedback on stress level readings.
• Improved calorie calculations for activities using a power meter.
• Improved results for daily Body Battery calculations.
• Improved visibility of Climb Pro alert page.
• Improved power meter calibration and settings.
• Improved Body Battery estimation when the device is powered off for a long period of time.
• Fixed issue where compass would become unresponsive during SUP activities.
• Fixed issue with manual time setup during initial setup.
• Fixed display issues when editing data field layouts.
• Fixed issue where recovery sets would not be properly displayed during workouts.
• Fixed issue where a Suggested Workout could draw with a nearly blank diagram.
• Fixed issue with editing data screens for Ultra Run app.
• Fixed text truncation issues when calibrating altimeter or barometer for some languages.
• Fixed issue with default FTP value for XC Ski.
• Fixed issue with distance to green layout while using 'Big Numbers' mode in golf activity profile.
• Fixed potential device shutdown while using ClimbPro.
• Fixed an issue where some training metrics were not updated after downloading stored heart rate from a capable chest strap.
• Fixed issue where the LAP key may not advance workout step.
• Fixed issue where Treadmill distance/pace would not record if watch was also connected to another nearby training device.
• Connect IQ improvements and bug fixes.
• Other minor improvements and bug fixes.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

• the other issue is that the product team have pushed a release candidate update to a proportion of users without choice. I couldn't avoid the installation, as it had been pushed to my phone. If i had chosen to be part of the beta tester group or pre-stable release testing, then i wouldn't have complained. However, i didn't manually choose to install 19.20 (as with the option presented on this thread)

19.20 is a final release, not a release candidate. Phased releases for these have been standard for ages. The only reason it’s available manually here is for people who’d been beta testing so they wouldn’t have to wait for their serial number to come up in rollout.

I’ve had the issue of fast battery drain immediately after an update in the past, and the double power off method eezytiger suggested has always solved it (these days I just do it after updates automatically to be on the safe side). FWIW 19.20 if anything seems to be using less battery than the betas that went before it for me.

• the double power off method eezytiger suggested

Could you remind us details about this, please? 

• Literally one page back :-)

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-6-series/272916/fenix-6-series---19-20-public-release/1310720#1310720

"I am now in the habit of always performing a soft restart (power off through the menu) followed by a hard restart (described above) whenever I update my firmware and I seldom see problems unless the firmware is genuinely faulty."

• the double power off method eezytiger suggested

Could you remind us details about this, please?

Turn off and on as normal, then when powered on fully, hold down the Light key continuously until the unit turns off. Turn on again. 

I think myself the light key step is the essential one, other people reckon you need both, it’ll cost you thirty seconds so why not  

ETA: note eezytiger’s explanation below!

• The soft restart is like correctly restarting a PC. This allows a tidy shutdown with processes allowed to complete and write data.

The hard restart is like pulling the plug on a PC. Processes are abruptly terminated and data might not be saved correctly. This will also purge faulty processes that might be causing battery drain.

I follow both steps in the hope to lose the least data. The hard restart does seem to lose some data, such as recovery time being reset to zero, even if you had three days outstanding. But I don't think that anything important is lost for long term tracking of your important data.

• Will the HIIT workouts be released to Fenix 6 soon?  Looks like only one device is compatible with the HIIT workout template currently.

• Former MemberNot really sure. it is something i learned a long time ago when i had a 935. I have not seen and problems having the file on read-only.

• thanks

(OP) clearly states in the thread opener 19.20 is a release candidate:

"We understand this post of 19.20 is in reverse of what we usually do, but nevertheless, we didn't want to miss an opportunity to post the public release candidate, which is now rolling out to 20% of users. We know many are eager to begin using this update. Enjoy!"

Re: your comment:

19.20 is a final release, not a release candidate.

A release candidate is not a final release but normally proceeds a final stable release. That's my understanding of software development terminology anyway. I've certainly seen this used in relation to Windows OS releases. Also, previous public release candidate threads on this forum state that a release candidate isn't a final release (but potentially will be, subject to no critical bugs emerging).

Furthermore, you don't push a final release out to only 20% of your client base (stated in the OP opener). I had presumed this 20% rollout is because of the issues in 19.10 (i'm sure i read somewhere there were issues with 19.10 - sorry if it's not correct).

Thanks regarding the double power off confirmation. I tried that just before bed. Power consumption while asleep was 6-7% in 6 hours. Not sure if that's normal. i 'think' it's greater than normal consumption.

Just for constructive info, post 19.20 update, this is my latest consumption (between charges):

50% battery usage in 1.72 days i.e. approx 1 & 3/4 days

only use was 1 x 30 min meditation period (where the app tracks HR stats, respiration, stress, temp, time and calculates HRV in realtime i.e. some active monitoring)

This, for me, is significantly reduced endurance. It's over a day less than typical (for  minimal use).

I've just done a charge and done the hard restart (so i know my next period of usage has in theory started from a half 'clean' state). Sadly am just going to have to monitor and maybe even doing a master reset (since support will ultimately ask for this, if my issues continue).

Cheers,

Gary