Fenix 6 Series - 18.77 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

18.77 Change Log Notes:

• New Adventure Race activity: This new activity prevents use of GPS data fields for navigation, allowing the watch to be used in adventure racing and orienteering races where GPS devices are not allowed.
  • Automatically disable Battery Saver when battery sufficiently charged.
  • Fixed issue with default FTP value for XC Ski.
  • Fixed issue with distance to green layout while using 'Big Numbers' mode in golf activity profile.
  • Fixed potential crash when viewing ConnectIQ widgets in glance list.
  • Fixed potential crash while using ClimbPro.
  • Fixed issue where "Calibration Complete" message was truncated for some languages.
  • Fixed an issue where some training metrics were not updated after downloading stored heart rate from a capable chest strap.
  • Fixed issue where the LAP key may not advance workout step.
  • Fixed issue where Treadmill distance/pace would not record if watch was also connected to another nearby training device.
  • Other minor improvements and bug fixes.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 8.00
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• I had always GPS track issues walking, running and cycling track are better. 

Probably I will try it again walking next two weeks but with the last official release. If I will still have issues I will install the last beta and report again to the beta team. 

I am also searching somebody with OnePlus smartphone that can report notification issues :( 

Some of these issues are common with all android devices so if somebody can help me will be very appreciated. 

• Did a slow 6.189 km run today and my Fenix 6X Pro Solar firmware 18.77 measured it to 6.105 km (-1.36% short). This is rather good in fact. If compared to earlier releases. But, i used my watch on inner wrist and also optimized to current satellite positions. Garmin, please include a GPS constallation auto detect feature. To use the best possible GPS setting. 

• Yes, fell race is the most important and powerful sport in the world.

Again if they are not allowed to use GPS, then use a non-GPS watch.

But it is a running watch. And these runners do want to track their sport.

Wouldn't e-bike make more sense as an Edge thing?

• 13 hour activity today, with full navigation etc. 60% usage, but I tend to leave my watch on the map screen so I expect a higher usage

• How do you accurately create a workout profile when a motor is doing most of the work? What advantage would an e-bike profile have over just using the Bike or MTB profile?

• I'm unable to send any PacePro Plans from either Garmin Connect mobile or desktop.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the mobile app, deleted and recreated PacePro Plans for desktop and mobile.  When I create a PacePro Plan on the watch it doesn't synch back to Garmin Connect mobile.  

At some point during the process, I saw the .FIT and course files upload to the watch.  Then when I synched again, the plan disappeared.  

• History and reports goes wrong. Like walking and nordic walking is different. I don't know why it is so hard to get everything different profile and history goes right. Luckily there is Runalyze to do that. I use xc ski to nordic walking, so Garmin shows ski and Runalyze shows nordic walking stats. If Garmin support correct profile, there is Connect view right one hit and no editing Runalyze. 

• How do you accurately create a workout profile when a motor is doing most of the work? What advantage would an e-bike profile have over just using the Bike or MTB profile?

Those are actually good questions. My understanding is that the primary reasons people want an eMTB profile is so they can separate out eMTB rides from their normal bike rides (when analysing data afterwards) and that the correct activity type gets auto uploaded to Strava and doesn’t inappropriately make you top of the leader board for an uphill Strava cycling segment, when the ride was on an eMTB and not a normal MTB (you won’t believe how competitive some people get with Strava segments and the fury that will rain down on you if you are perceived to have ‘cheated’ on an eBike on a bike segment). The growing further reason for an eMTB profile is that for the last couple of years there has been a specific eMTB class in the mountain bike Enduro World Series; so this is a rapidly growing competitive sport in its own right.

With regards the fitness metrics, the rider’s heart rate would be used to derive calories, in the same way the watch does for indoor activities like Cardio or Strength Training. Even cycling power based metrics are relevant still, as a power meter at pedal or crank is still only measuring the rider’s input power and not what the motor is contributing; so FTP and cycling VO2 Max could be calculated on an eMTB if you fitted a power meter (none of the cycling performance metrics use speed or elevation as an input; AFAIK all cycling metrics are based on power, heart rate and possibly cadence).

Adding a new activity on the watch isn’t as straight forward as people often think, as Garmin haven’t got to just add that activity on the watch, but they’ve got to mirror that across the whole Garmin Connect server ecosystem and on the Garmin Connect app. There’s multiple places this can go wrong, so I can understand Garmin’s reluctance to just keep adding activity profiles for every sport or activity under the sun. All that said, as has been referenced a few posts above, Garmin have put eMTB in to the latest beta software for the 945 LTE, so the work must have been done behind the scenes to add eMTB activity type to the servers, so with a fair wind we will see this come to the Fenix 6 series in due course.