This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Jaybird brand headphones disconnect (IE: Vista/Tara/etc.)

Just a fair warning for anyone expecting a major improvement, the jaybird headphone disconnection issues are still present in the latest firmware. The only way to fix it is still downgrading the Bluetooth firmware to 5.04. It’s been months from Garmin with no proper fix, and I’ve sent multiple emails.

P.S. I did have a brief period of respite on beta 16.30, but after the disconnections during my run today rendering the headphones useless I’m not sure if that was just pure luck.

• why are these issues seen on so many other headphones as well?   BT isnt rocket science.  But what DOES check very frequent is the sensor hub in these garmin devices. The issue is with Garmin. and it is with the increase support in the sensor hub,

it understood that posting complaints in garmin forums dont help.  Creating trouble shooting and sharing logs with garmin does.  And there was  post shared how to do that.  probably worth reposting

• I'm one of the few/many that have followed the device with garmin support.  They explained how to share debug logs with them.  While somewhat boilerplate,  they were asking people with this issue to consider the following.  And while reading it a second time, I got to thinking.  Being a software developer myself.  Interrupts within software are the DEVIL.  Hard to track down and reproduce.  But they happen, and its happening here in the garmin sensor hub.  No doubt.  Without question.

So i've been trying some thing.  nothing conclusive yet.  But..

- I disabled my Garmin RD POD.  

- disabled my speed and cadence meters for my bike.  And of course they are not needing while you are not biking

- i left myself with zero know/active sensors and devices except the BT headphones.

And much to my surprise, I've not had any dropouts with the headphones.  My watch is currently using ANT/BLE/BT v6.11

Again its to early for full conclusions. But this watch like other smart watches, does monitor things while not within an activity.  It tries to determine if you are doing something (elliptical or rowing machie).    Likewise within an activity, such as a run, it makes sense to look for running based devices like an RD POD.   But we dont know internal to garmin sensor hub.  But what if there are interrupts or timesout related to other sensors (like my speed/cadence) during a run.   its possible. And early tests appear to suggest this might be true.

So for all of you with BT headphone issues.  Just give it a try.  Not as a solution, but as a data gathering and troubleshooting exercise.  Try disabling all your devices except your headphones.  Then try your activity.   Just to see if you still see dropouts.   If not, then maybe contributing that data to garmin support might help them with making the necessary updates into the sensor hub.

Garmins Support request

=======================

-We're aware of a different brand of bluetooth headphones and some running dynamic pods that cause this type of wireless sensor pairing disruption; can we remove the running dynamics pod from the equation briefly for testing please? Is your running dynamics pod from Garmin? If not, what make and model is it please? Sometimes the running dynamics pod holds priority for pairing and disables the headphones.

-Have you tried testing while wearing the watch on the other wrist? Any observable change?

-Any observed differences indoor vs outdoor?\

-Have you already checked for software updates on the headphones via Jaybird? (and for safe measure.... your Android, Garmin Connect mobile app, and the watch)

-Low battery charge on the headphones?

- Can you isolate/simplify the pairing relationships so that we're working with one set of headphones at-a-time and paired only to the watch? (no interference from the phone or other devices; watch isn't looking for more than one pair of headphones).

NOTE: Only pair the headphones with one device at a time.  If paired with the watch and smartphone, the headphones will attempt to connect to the phone. 

-Is this during recording with all activity tracking profiles? Or just Run?

-Are you in the midst of recording or completing a structured workout?

• So i've been trying some thing.  nothing conclusive yet.  But..

- I disabled my Garmin RD POD.  

- disabled my speed and cadence meters for my bike.  And of course they are not needing while you are not biking

- i left myself with zero know/active sensors and devices except the BT headphones.

And much to my surprise, I've not had any dropouts with the headphones.  My watch is currently using ANT/BLE/BT v6.11

Maybe it's user specific with the type of headphones and the type of sensors paired.  I don't know if it will help with your test but I use the Bose SoundSport Free's.  When running I'm connected to a Garmin HRM-Tri and Tempe and I also use a Stryd running pod.  While cycling, I use the same minus the Stryd with the addition of Garmin's speed and cadence sensors.  I say current on FW/SW updates.  I don't have problems with my headphones, but I have read others that do with the SoundSport Free's.  I'm not sure if it's relevant, but the headphones are only paired with my watch and not with my phone.

• if you use the 5.0.4 version you need to be sure to disable automatic software updates, otherwise your phone will just push the BT updates back onto the watch

• Any link for tutorial "how to send log" please ? I'm interesting to send mine for this problem with jabra and plantronics.

• Hi.
    You need to have a case file / trouble ticket created.   I cannot find the link in the forums here, but I followed the steps from another BT connectivity post.  Maybe it took me to the garmin F6x support page.  There you have option for CHAT or CALL support.  I believe I filled out the chat with my email.  At that point in time I started having EMAIL conversations with the tech support.

it was within one of those emails that they shared the steps to share a file.  However, its not an open interface. I think you need to be granted to key's to do that.

here is one link that might do the trick:
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partNumber=010-02158-10&tab=topics#

THe email I received show some steps how to upload.  what is not included below is the code that they gave me:

Thanks for all of the follow up information. It is nice working with people that use so much description and have fluency of tech troubleshooting. It looks like I will need to create a more involved "service ticket" to resolve this matter.

We would happily gather your log files: Sending a Garmin Folder from a Device to Product Support

Sending App Logs From the Garmin Express App to Garmin Product Support

• You need to have a case file / trouble ticket created.

If you have your case file number and post it, when others report their issue they can request it be attached to yours.  This way there's not a bunch of individual reports that are addressed separately.

•   I'm not sure which if the proper ticket number but my email header was the following:

< Ref:19209781K0 >> Re: BT v6.X and later does not work with numerous BT ear pods <Q#:1007700>

Here is the info form the other forum post suggesting the same thing:

Everyone with this issue needs to let Garmin know on their support page, it will then hopefully get logged and recognised as a proper issue. I doubt they even really monitor these forums.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?contactOverride=true&productID=641530&tab=topics

At the bottom of that page is an online chat link, if you can try and speak to someone. I did and they were very helpful and said they'd escalate it but if it's just the occasional person then it might not really flag up with them properly so it would be great if everyone could take 5 mins to do it so we can hopefully finally run freeee!

That forum post/thread is :

forums.garmin.com/.../jaybird-headphones---disconnection-issues---poll

• Ref:19209781K0

Yes, it's the reference number.  Thank you.