Long delays in Pace and Speed data fields when running (but not for cycling) Movies included!

Do you all have this type of delay of the data fields Pace and Speed in the Run activity? Watch the movie to see the difference between the Run activity compared to the Bike activity.
Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar (software version 11.10 and 11.75)

• Just guessing here but could it be that it assumes the bike activity would be used for...biking and when biking you will travel faster and further in a the same time period than walking/running. This gives the watch a better statistics basis for calculation than walking/running does under the same time period.
    It is even quiet hard for a GPS to know which direction you are walking in within just a couple of seconds/steps.
    The GPS have a precision of 1 to 5-ish meters (under good conditions) and that distance is not covered as fast when walking/running as biking.

...but that's me guessing, but I do know how GPS works Slight smile

Sweden?

• Yes of course, im using the "Run" activity when im running. The Bike activity comparison is just to show that activities work in different ways regarding the data fields.

When logging is set to "Every second" each log record has a total distance and current speed. I have checked the log records in the .FIT files and there are almost no "bad data" there. It looks very well in fact. GPS accuracy compared to the previous log record seems very good. So even if the GPS record is 10 meter off the log records only comparing to the last log point and that seems correct in my log files.

A ~3 second data averaging/smoothing (like in bike activity) will be enough for running. Maybe add a percentile to it also to exclude unusual bad data log points.

Arm movements is not an issue either. Because, when looking at the watch while running there are almost no arm movements. I need to hold it steady to see the display on the watch.

Absolut, från Sverige. Men skriver på engelska här i forumet.

• I would guess the same as BigSwede.

Maybe the averaging window for "Exact Pace" is just shorter,

I don't want to talk this down but why it's so important at the start? I don't look at my watch during the 1st minute or so. At the start you're ramping up your speed and the error is huge.

• The delay also affects the Exact Pace data field in the "Run" activity. The Exact Pace data field is only more exact than the standard Pace data field. The standard one shows the pace in 5 second steps like 5:05, 5:10 etc. The Exact Pace shows it like 5:07, 5:09 etc.

I think this is important because it also affects pace changes while running. Not only at start/stop. So if i run with Pace Pro or try to run at specific paces at specific times its almost impossible because of the delays/lagging. I am not so experienced runner and want to check the clock now and then when i run to learn which pace/speed i am running at.

In my earlier watch (old Garmin Forerunner 310XT) the Pace and Speed was a lot more accurate than in my new Fenix 6X.

I have registered a case to Garmin Support about this but do not know if its solvable.

• when I look in my .fit files I see anywhere from 3 to 5 seconds where the distance data is 0.  This is with GPS off, since I run the same course all the time I don't need GPS to know where I am.  I could understand a few seconds for a GPS tracking fix, but using just the accelerometers I don't understand why it can't start at the first second.  Not a deal breaker, but I always thought it was a bit odd.  I'll try using the bike activity instead and see if that's any better, looks like it might be a bit quicker to start.

• Is it in the beginning of the activity that the distance data shows 0? Maybe you start the activity and wait some seconds before starting to run?

• Here is one more movie that shows more of the delays when using the Run activity. This includes speed and pace changes to show more of the problem. Will soon add one more movie with similar tests when using the Bike activity to show the differences between the activities.

• And here is one more movie with the Bike activity to show how much better that works.

• Yay! After installing beta 11.77 i see improvements in the too long delays and accuracy for the "Pace" and "Speed" data fields when performing a Run activity. Its not perfect but its much better than before. But its not mentioned in the release notes.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to AndersB

Same here. 

Any fix ?