This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fenix 6 sleep data in Apple Health (iOS 14)

I note that Garmin Connect no longer writes the correct sleep data as recorded from my Fenix 6 to the iOS 14 Health app. Everything was working fine with iOS 13. 

Garmin connect only writes “Deep” and “Light” sleep time as sleep to the Health app but reports “REM” sleep as awake time resulting in significantly lower and inaccurate sleep times in the Health app. (Everything still appears correct in Connect Mobile).

is anyone else experiencing this?

1. Experiencing the same with Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music and Apple Health, both in iOS13 and iOS 14. According to apple health sleep register I am a sleepwalker or a zombie. Seriously, it should be fixed. I would think that Apple might be prompting people to switch to Apple Watch making the other watches look inaccurate or incompatible. And if it’s Garmin’s fault they are really hurting themselves not fixing that data transmission issue.
  • Does it look ok in Garmin Connect? If it does then perhaps the problem lies with Apple.

• @philipshambrook, you have made this statement before but as I have previously explained to you, Apple, owns the HealthKit specifications and companies need to adhere to these specifications when writing data to HealthKit. Other manufacturers do not appear to have an issue writing sleep data - only Garmin. This certainly suggests a Garmin problem. Why are you so sure that the problem is with Apple?

• I'm not. Garmin send the data to Apple, which is likely not the same as writing directly to HealthKit as people appear to assume. My take is that it is then up to Apple to get the data into a format that suits their watch. Since we have been told that Apple is not able to display the same metrics as Garmin then it seems reasonable to assume the problem is at Apple's end. But of course I might be wrong.

As noted:

I would assume it’s because Apple is unable to report on the different stages of sleep, hence REM is excluded in total hours slept. Hopefully we don’t need to wait until they introduce all the stages to Apple Watches.... 

Have you contacted Apple?

• Your response contradicts the information in the Apple Developer Documentation. Do you have a source for this? The data written to HealthKit has no direct relevance to the Apple Watch (I would expect that most people here do not use an Apple Watch as they have a Fenix) although it may also be used by the Apple Watch. The HealthKit is much bigger than just the Apple Watch - you do not appear to be familiar with it?

• As I said:

of course I might be wrong.

But do you really think Garmin is concerned with formatting their data for every 3rd party source that might want to use it?

• In any case they should. I stopped using my Quatix and replaced it by Apple watch 6 that sync correctly ( of course).. all the data including sleep data. If Garmin does not make the job they will lose iPhone users.. Apple is not a third party like others.. it is Apple ;) 

• I just posted about this same problem. Definitely an issue on Garmin’s side. They need to update something in their Apple Health sync to correctly record REM sleep as asleep, not awake.

I’m not going to hold out much hope though as Garmin also seems to be unable to properly record activity Active Calories and requires a ridiculous Strava workaround instead (ridiculous because Strava workouts have no issue correctly recording Active Calories related to each workout) followed by manual reconciliation of the calories each day (again because Garmin just dumps one active calorie total into Apple Health at the end of the day) to properly close the Apple Health activity rings. 

• The same here. Some days ago saw sleep data in Apple Health and they are 2-3h less than Garmin. Didn't know why and couldn't figure it out. Now I know why. Strange, very strange. 

• Version 4.4 of the iOS app has fixed the issue. Good news but I do find it disappointing and concerning that it took Garmin half a year to identify and fix a basic problem.