This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is the new “Power Sapphire” crystal used on the Tactix Delta Solar?

I apologize that this question is in the Fenix 6 forum but there isn’t a dedicated Tactix section, so I figured I’d ask here. 

I’ve been searching for more info on what makes “Power Sapphire” on the Tactix Delta Solar different than “Power Glass” and non-solar sapphire?  So far I haven’t been able to find any information on the web, YT, here, or on Garmin’s site.

Has the clarity compared to previous sapphire glass been improved with Power Sapphire (closer to Gorilla Glass)?

• Clarity looked very similar to what was on the normal Tactix Delta. Which is why I decided to keep my 6XPS.

• I apologize that this question is in the Fenix 6 forum but there isn’t a dedicated Tactix section, so I figured I’d ask here. 

I’ve been searching for more info on what makes “Power Sapphire” on the Tactix Delta Solar different than “Power Glass” and non-solar sapphire?  So far I haven’t been able to find any information on the web, YT, here, or on Garmin’s site.

Has the clarity compared to previous sapphire glass been improved with Power Sapphire (closer to Gorilla Glass)?

Here are the components of the 6x Pro Solar display:

There is a layer of Power Glass, which contains the photocells, sandwiched between the cover glass (in this case Gorilla Glass) and the LCD.

If Sapphire Glass is substituted for Gorilla Glass, the result is Power Sapphire.

I bought a non-solar tactix Delta and had to return it because the display was too dim - due to Sapphire Glass.  I have no reason to believe that the tactix Delta Solar is any better, and suspect it is probably worse (i.e. dimmer) due to the layer of Power Glass which will only allow approximately 90% of the light from the display to be transmitted.

HTH

• We could not have said it any better Gaijin. 

When the Fenix 6 series was engineered, there were initial concerns sapphire wouldn't allow the solar charge through sapphire enough so gorilla glass was used. Since then, in the time that passed while engineering the Tactix Delta Solar, improvements were made so the Tactix Delta Solar models have a sapphire crystal vs. Gorilla Glass.

• ...and since the power sapphire mirrors so beautifully, it can be used together with sunlight as a mirror to send sos in an emergency ... Another new feature

• so regarding scratch resistance between the delta and the delta solar, is one better or are they the same?

• If both are Sapphire, then there wouldn't really be any difference. The only thing is that apparently Garmin uses a non-glare coating on their Sapphire glass (it still glares like crazy though, so maybe this information is wrong...) - and this non-glare coating seems to scratch for some users. It's very hard to get reliable information about it though.

• Something referencing actual standards would be more useful tho perhaps less dramatic for marketing.  For example, I was experimenting with UV and when I did research on safety I found this which is not directly related to the Sapphire durability but similar:  

ANSI/ISEA Z87.1-2020: Current Standard for Safety Glasses

blog.ansi.org/.../

• So the domed glass was used to improve ruggedness but how does that improve light transmission to the power glass? You digressed in your response. Sapphire being significantly more reflective than Gorilla glass  would logically imply a less efficient solar benefit on the Delta solar. What did Garmin do to mitigate this and how does it compare in solar efficiency to the 6X with solar Gorilla glass? Thanks. 

• The solar efficiency is similar whether you own a Fenix 6 Solar series with Gorilla Glass or own the Tactix Delta Solar with a Domed Sapphire.