GPS gone to hell with 10.10

Settings: GPS + Glonass
CPE: Current.

Before 10.10 when leaving my house for a run it would take a minute or two to get GPS lock and the tracking was close to the route I run. Since 10.10 it takes 5 to 10 minutes to get a lock and the tracking is completely screwed. And yes, I have both soft and hard reset. Map data is up to date and I sync with connect before heading out.

• It's supposed to help the watch predict where the satellites are going to be to help get a faster lock (as long as it's current).

• It's a cached version of the almanac, basically -- it tells the GPS more-or-less where things it should be able to see are, so it knows where to start.

Phones cheat since they have a rough position lock from the tower and a data link, so they can get what's called "AGPS" data over the network and do -- this is how they get their locks rapidly.  A watch, obviously, doesn't have that, so if you move a long distance without using the GPS, or that file gets corrupted somehow, then the chip has to search from what amounts to scratch, which can take a good bit of time.  Basically if you have a "cold start" with no hints it takes a fair bit of time before it can either find them or enough almanac data comes down from the first lock it is able to achieve to "prime it" to tell it where the other birds are.

If you have valid data to know where you start then you can get a lock within a few seconds instead of many minutes to wait for the almanac data to come down.

• Thanks for that very good explanation. 

• Haven't had chance to get out and test with a walk or run yet, but repeated testing on the GPS lock on the activity screen shows it's back to being at least as fast as it was at getting that initial lock. I'll see how it gets on with actual tracking when I get finished with the office for the day. Once again, thanks for the suggestion - it's definitely made a difference to finding the GPS!

• I never had huge problems with gps accuracy until now.
    Today updated to v10.10.... lol.... you have to see that....
    Red line what the watch recorded. Blue line what i did. I was next to the sea but obviously not IN the sea..... Stuck out tongue
    The start is accurate but after that it's going to the bottom of the sea...literally...
    Needless to say it was on completely open sky and after the update i have restarted my watch....

• Thats three people, and all looks like calculations went mad for a bit. On the plus side, thats the most amazing aquatic running I've ever seen!

• lol ok.... Maybe i should change from just gps to gps+gallileo for example?

It is also messing with the data showing that i have done 1 km in 3 mins (on a walk) lol

• open a gps activity screen for 10-20 minutes to re-create it?

This has long been a recommended process to follow after an update.

• ok! I think i found it! So first, THANK you so much for the tip and the idea!!
    So I have opened the exercise screen and went to the third screen of the map. I was shown in the see several kms from my house. Slight smile
    I waited a bit, I moved the watch near the window, i received a green tick that but i was still in the sea. After 2-3 minutes i transferred to my real location very precisely relatively to the fact that i am inside. 
    So i will keep an eye on it but it seems it is fixed!
    Thanks again!!! I think this should be passed to all the related threads.

• Where is the file? A factory reset will delete it?