Software version 10

So with the latest beta up to 9.98 do you think there will be a major update to the watch OS for version 10? What new features would you like to see, or major improvements to existing ones.

No long on HR monitoring accuracy please.

• Ending user interface with full translation i.e no more scrool bars, but only lefts dots.
    And making the watch even more smart, like with offline Meteo, but for Calendar Widget.
    Moonphase within Solar Widget.
    Manually starting and stoping sleep widget, even during the day for power nap.

• I would echo the desire for native running power and power based structured running workouts. The device is already capable of doing them from a hardware standpoint, using biking mode. It just makes a mess of the data afterwards, so it's not really practical if you also actually ride a bike sometimes. 

• a "time until next sun event" datafield

I have been asking for this for like ~6 years since I started using a 310XT. Submitted suggestions to Garmin via web form and everything. IMO nobody with any power to add features reads the suggestions. This is such an obvious feature for a device like Fenix. I used to get this functionality by having time of day and sunset time listed as 2 separate data fields, but there's no reason the watch shouldn't calculate and display - saving a data field. So in the mean time I have been using a CIQ datafield that does the same thing, but I would prefer it be natively coded. IMO we should be sending regular feature requests for it.

One more thing that would improve time data fields: a universally-applied option to turn off seconds display in all activity data fields for the purpose of improved battery life during an activity. Maybe seconds matters if you're running a 5k, but if you're doing a 10 mile hike, it's updating the screen 60x/minute and draining battery for no real purpose.

• Fix Playlists so that they can include audio files with non-Roman characters above 7-bits, like ñ and ö. The audio app can already display and play files with names like that. It’s just the m3u playlist parser discards them from the list. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to silviull

I had for a short while a Huawei GT2e watch. Sleep analysis on that thing was amazing, it detected all naps too. And it is using Firstbeat licensing to get the metrics on sleep. Since Garmin has now acquired Firstbeat maybe they will be able to get sleep and nap detection an overhaul. 

• a "time until next sun event" datafield

What kind of "event" are you looking for?

• I have been asking for this for like ~6 years since I started using a 310XT. Submitted suggestions to Garmin via web form and everything. IMO nobody with any power to add features reads the suggestions. This is such an obvious feature for a device like Fenix. I used to get this functionality by having time of day and sunset time listed as 2 separate data fields, but there's no reason the watch shouldn't calculate and display - saving a data field. So in the mean time I have been using a CIQ datafield that does the same thing, but I would prefer it be natively coded. IMO we should be sending regular feature requests for it.

Same here - I used to use the time + sunset time as two datafields, and do the math in my head, but that's an unnecessary pain. When I'm outside, I don't really care what time sunset will be at, what I care about is how much more daylight do I have left.

The CIQ app that shows time til next sun event works great, but I agree, a native datafield would be better - namely because we're limited to only 2 CIQ datafields per activity, and it would be nice to free up one of those slots for something else.

As a matter of fact, what would be REALLY cool is if the Fenix had the ability to take your estimated time to the end of your course, and the time until sunset, and give you a warning that says you may run out of daylight before you finish (so you can decide to either speed up, or turn around). Sort of like how Google Maps will calculate the ETA to a business address, compare it to their business hours, and warn you that they might be closed by the time you get there.

• When I'm outside, I don't really care what time sunset will be at, what I care about is how much more daylight do I have left.

That just answered my question.  Anyway, it's not a data field, but if you go into system, time and the alerts, you can set up an alert time for sunset and sunrise.  I spend a lot of time out in the woods and I have an alert set for 1 hr until sunset to tell me when to start heading back towards civilization Slight smile.  Have you tried this?

• What kind of "event" are you looking for?

"Next sun event" means the time until sunset (during the daytime) or the time until sunrise (during the nighttime). Alternatively, if you want to know how much actual daylight you have, it could be the time until twilight/daybreak. Some of the CIQ datafields let you choose which type of sun events to use, but I'd be happy if Garmin offered just the time to next sunset/sunrise.

• Have you tried this?

Yep, I have mine set up to give me a 30 minute sunset alert - it works well, but it can't easily be changed "on the fly". Sometimes 30 minutes is way more time than I need, sometimes it's not nearly enough. I'd rather just be able to glance at my watch and know that sunset is in 1 hour and 47 minutes (without having to calculate the difference between 6:26pm and 8:13pm in my head)