New European TopoActive 2020.10 Map Causing Map Lag on Fenix 6 Series and Tactix Delta

Former Member
Former Member

I installed the new map as well. After updating it took a very long time untill the watchface appeared, installing the map. I made some routes but when i choose one i only get a white screen when zooming out i only see a basemap no details. When i use Around Me i onley see the watchr spinnig endlessly.  I did a hard and soft reset but it took about  2.30 minutes to only  load the maps after reboot, it had never been so slow before.

Then I did a reinstallation of  the Europe Topo maps through GE  but again the time after restart  was as before.

Then i did a Master Reset (delete all user settings). Again sync watch (but not reinstall maps). Hard and soft reset. Now duration for loading maps after reboot  is about 40 to 50 seconds, shorter than before but again too long.... 

I don't know if that's normal for this update....

Today I did a base run everything was OK. I seem a little laggy at  zoom map and I haven't  tried Around Me.

So maybe  there’s definitely  wrong with the map update or I miss something or Garmin???

• BTW, one thing i noticed now I have only installed a self-downloaded OSM map of my own country, is that I sometimes see very odd altitude, something I have never seen before on my F6X. Anyone else has that experience? Could it be due to as missing DEM map, because I guess it needs some kind of reference for altitude calibration?

• For all customers still experiencing an issue with their map latency when all maps are installed.

- IF you have already deleted the map images off your watch while plugged into your computer AND reinstalled all maps back to your watch using Garmin Express BUT still continue to have serious map latency issues when using the map on your Fenix 6 Pro series watch, please highlight my name and send me a Private Message. Thank you!

• Hi Chris. I send you a private message

• First installed 9.98 and then reinstalled the 2020.10 maps and things work better, although boot time of watch still send slightly longer it's fine in regular use.

• Deletion and reinstalling maps via Garmin Express worked for me.

• Sent also via private message, but posted here for the other Fenix users

Some update on the maps issue on my Fenix 6 Sapphire: 

- SW version 9.97 beta, no map file ever deleted from the watch

- I've connected to GE and choose "reinstall" for each map category

- removed the PC connection and watch boot up was very fast with a few seconds(less than 10) "loading" maps message

- performed a hard reset(long press power button): loading maps message took a few seconds(less than 10)

- connected again to PC and copied the 9.98 beta files 

- removed connection, triggered install new SW. after install performed a hard-reset --> "loading maps" progress bar went from empty to full in around 7 consecutive (empty-full) runs. This took around 2 or 3 minutes 

- tested "around me" inside the house --> it took around 30 seconds to load the map with last known location from yesterday; selected several map areas and it showed me correct POI

- tested "around me" on the balcony window --> it took around 50 seconds to load the map with the current location, selected several map areas and it showed me correct POI

Overall - it seems something is way better with "reinstall maps" via GC

• I try to install the maps update 2 times. Everytime time is stop/stacking at 17.4 %, and already is connected for more than 5 hours. Anybody have this problem or can help me ? I would really appreciate. Thanks

• After having a 6x Sapphire bricked trying to update to this version, it seems like my brand new, warranty exchanged 6x Sapphire, has the same problem, stuck at 49,5% of the update, after 6 hours. I am afraid to disconnect the watch from the computer, because if it bricks again, I will have to wait another 3 weeks to get a new watch and possibly have the same end result. 

After a fair amount of defective Garmin Fenix products, Fenix 3 Hr charging problem, 3 Fenix 5x Plus screen and altimeter/barometer problems , I am beginning to regret the 1000+ euro spent on the Fenix 6x Sapphire alone, 850 euro the watch, 199 euro the titanium band, 49 euro the normal band and 99 euros the woven band.

I can't imagine that I am the unluckiest Garmin owner in the world...