Fenix 6 Pro - Wifi Issues (FW: 8.10)

I don't seem to be able to connect to my home Wifi using my Fenix 6 PRO. The connection test fails, and the sync returns error 0105.

My connection has a WPA2-PSK-CCMP password and is a 2.4GHZ. I only seem to be able to connect to open networks. Anyone else has the same issue?

I have also tried to setup a hotspot with my phone with the same result.

This seems to be a software issue.

• tried that too - nothing works

I strongly believe that this must be an issue with the way the wifi signal is transmitted from my modern router TP-Link Archer MR600 and the incompetence of Garmin software not being able to handle the communication.

All other devices work perfectly well.

• I can also verify that passwords lengths of >8 works just fine.
    I have two WIFI networks configured, one with a password length of 14 and one with 9.
    No problems connecting to anyone of them. 
    Both of them are also a dual frequency (2.4/5Ghz) with the same SID.

(Fenix 6X Sapphire FW 11.10 Wi-Fi 2.60)

• I've contacted Garmin support not long ago and they listed the following requirements:

• 2.4 GHz band
    • 802.11 B or G (AC are not supported, nor is 802.1x)
    • WEP / WPA / WPA2 security (WPA-Enterprise is not supported)
    • Channels 1-11 for North American devices, channels 1-13 for International devices
    • The SSID must be visible and not hidden

People in the forum reported:

• No captive portals
    • No smart band selection

That being said, I meet all of the criteria, but I seem to be able to connect only to open networks. Other users report being able to connect to anything but with short passwords. I personally think that this is a software issue: if the device knows that it can't connect to a network due to these requirements it should say so in the network selection process, otherwise it's just poor software design.

• Yes, I wrote elsewhere on the forum half a year ago, I also have a problem with wifi. The Fenix 6X Pro is my first, but also my last Garmin.

• Since Garmin doesn't seem interested in digging deeper in this issue, and I'm pretty sure that it's not an hardware one, I want to try and give a shoot at try and correlate connection issues with the WiFi network.

If someone is interested in helping me please download WiFi Analyzer (android), tap on your network and report the security options available for the network that is causing problems.

DEVICE: Fenix 6 PRO

ISSUE: Network visible, connection fails. Tested various passwords length and combinations.

WIFI SECURITY (as reported by the app): WPA-PSK-None+None, WPA2-PSK-CCMP+TKIP, WPA2-PSK-CCMP+TKIP, ESS, WPS

• Just want to add that i have a 15 character password on my home WiFi and my fenix 6X Sapphire is able to connect.

So the character limit definitely not an absolute limit, although it might be a contributing factor in some WiFi configurations.

My home Wifi is a 2.4 GHz, 802.11 A/B/G/N WPA2 setup

Edit: Running the release version of 11.10 on my watch.

• If you are able to, can you check the security info using WiFi Analyzer ?

• I agree it is is not the router. If you have a UNIX machine you should look into Wireshark to trace the Wifi connection between the router and your F6. 

If I'm correcet Wireshark for Windows is still not able to do it.

I had lots of issues with my Forerunn645 but the F6 works pretty good with my AVM Fritzbox. Just Spotify is slow.

My password is 17characters (letters & numbers). 

WIFI SECURITY: [WPA2-PSK-CCMP] [RSN-PSK-CCMP] [ESS] [WPS] [WFA-HT]

• I actually got a replacement unit because of this.  Replacement also didn't work, so spent even more time fiddling with wifi settings.  Eventually switched off DNS filtering at the router, and it now works fine  

• Encountered the same proble on my Fenix 6 Pro. I managed to make some progress. Here is my setup:

• SSID visible
    • Router tp-link Acher C4000
    • Frequency 2.6 GHz
    • Security WPA/WPA2-Personal
    • Version Auto (either WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK2)
    • Encryption Auto (either TKIP or AES)
    • Mode 802.11b/g/n mixed
    • Channel Width Auto (either 20 or 40 MHz)
    • Channel Auto (on of 1 - 11)

Based on info provided herein I went about changing the config values and retrying. The first success was with an eight character alphanumeric password and defined config values (no auto) and an airtime fairness feature disabled. Not wanting a short password I tried twelve characters with nothing different on config, which failed. I then thought it was something more dynamic and so tried retracing my steps with the only difference being the password. No luck there so I went back to playing with the configuration before chasing another possibility. After several different config changes, I had some successes but with little basis of consistency to work on. I then took a different path and tried the initial successful config but tried defining the password on my phone, then Garmin Express and finally on Fenix itself. This was hit and miss too. After a lot of different tries that included (beyond router config changes):

• Deleting/Reinstalling Garmin Express and data due to a misleading error 0105 code (recommended by garmin support page)
    • Adding/Deleting the network connection on the watch vs phone vs garmin express
    • Updating a connection’s password on the phone regardless of where the connection was defined

I found that password length didn’t matter - I’m able to connect with a 44 char entry - and the best way to connect successfully is to keep retrying. After a successful connection, I deleted the connection and re-added. The first attempts failed and then eventually a success. It was repeatable multiple times. The only diff was the number of retries, which could go to 10 but rarely more.

A few pointers for your situation:

• if your router doesn’t allow auto, then go with recommendations identified herein ( e.g. AES , PSK2). While my router offers the handshaking, I didn’t find to which one it agreed
    • to me, this problem smells of an issue with handshaking tolerances (I’m a developer by trade).This may vary based on hardware and configuration constraints, meaning your situation and retrying may result in different results
    • Getting a successful connection does not imply that subsequent activities that require a connection will be successful. I have had to retry after success, but in that one case the subsequent retry was successful 
    • Avoid trying to punch in a 44 characters password on your watch