Fenix 6 Series - 8.73 Beta Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

The latest Fenix 6 beta software is now available for your upcoming adventures!

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Fenix 6s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15166
Fenix 6s Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15164
Fenix 6: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15162
Fenix 6 Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15160
Fenix 6x Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15168

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

8.73 Change Log Notes:

• Fixed an issue where a CIQ watchface would crash if the user were to hit 'Back' from the incoming call page.
  • Fixed an issue where selection of an item in music lists (artist/genre) would yield a landing page for a different artist/genre.
  • Added support for downloading workout videos over Express or WiFi.
  • Added support for activities Climb Indoor and Bouldering.
  • Added support for a routes summary page to the activity review flow for Indoor Climb.
  • Added support for the device to manually add a shot through the measure shot page in Golf.
  • Updated the look and feel of the weather app.
  • Updated the look and feel of the End of Activity flow.
  • Improved the user experience layout for Altimeter, Barometer, and Notifications widgets.
  • Brought in cross-country ski improvements for Fenix 6 non-Pro models.
  • Made several improvements to the music experience.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 4.10
Sensor Hub: 5.06
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models)5.01
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 2.11
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• I honestly did not know this was an

official forum for Garmin,

I have been under the impression for a number of years now that this was a peer-to-peer forum where Garmin staff dropped in occasionally.

you do know that this is therefore an OFFICIAL topic for the beta releases

No I did not. I was under the clearly mistaken impression that this was a thread posted by Garmin for users to discuss any problems with the beta update with peers and report those problems to the beta team, as opposed to other threads where peers discuss issues and report to the Garmin Support team..

So why are you and some other particular members always bugging people that report bugs in the BETA TOPIC of the forum ?

I guess we do that to remind people of the difference between beta threads and normal threads along with the importance of not just discussing issues but also to ensure any issues are reported to the beta team. It is not enough to simply assume that Garmin monitor all the posts, especially considering the number of hysterical, rude, and offensive outbursts that occur from some posters throwing tantrums.

You have also seen that certain technical support also reply here, right ?

Please refer to my comment at the top of this reply.

• Hi, do you plan to add more Weather providers?

Looks like it is pretty off!

• 30' of outdoor running activity and the battery consumption was 2,41%. That's too high. With the same settings, on previous firmwares, the consumption for 30' was about 1%. I have already inform the beta team by mail. 

• To install the beta I place System_873 in \GARMIN folder, the rest in \GARMIN\REMOTESW ? The folder System_Backdate_v810 is to restore back to 8.10? Thanks

• yes:

If you would like to revert to the last public release software, drop the gupdate.gcd file found in the System_Backdate_v*** folder in the \GARMIN directory NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults.

• Seriously now, you did not like your initial reply to me and you edited just to keep bubbling the same things ??? No worries, no need to "explain" or "excuse" yourself. And please, if you're not a moderator for the thread or the forum, then refrain from "reminding" people all the time... And btw, in addition to the "hysterical, rude and offensive outbursts" that you correctly identified in your reply, i can also add the word "ironic"... 

No need to continue the offtopic. Everyone understood what each one said...

• Just to add additional data points. We've done some testing.   Friend of mine is on 8.73  on 6x and did a 27 minute run and used 1.9%.  I'm on 8.1 and ran the same 27 minutes with 14 extra seconds with identical settings and same linked devices and burned 0.9%.   8.73 is using twice the power vs 8.10. 

• Can Garmin rollout version 8 which includes Virtual run mode to APAC / ASIA Version ASAP?  Countries around asia are in lockdown. Virtual mode will help us train indoors. Thanks

• Broadcast Heart Rate widget no improvement for me.

Did you used Virtual Run Activity? 

Battery drain is 20% higher in this beta

Had you tested WHR outside activity or using Hiking activity? I had not the possibility... 

• Same battery problem here. One hour indoor treadmill running without music or GPS (only Stryd footpod and HRM belt), and F6X Pro Sapphire dropped from 98% to 90%. It used 1-3% with 8.10.

I'll wait a few days for a new stable version, but if Garmin doesn't realase it next week, I'm going back to 8.10. :(