Best hrm belt with garmin fenix 6

Hi.

I just bought garmin fenix 6, but i was thinking to buy hrm belt to get better results and also b3cause i cannot wear watch in every training.

I normally train jujitsu, boxing and crossfit. But also running etc. Belong to seasonal training. I dont swim so much, so i think that is not priority one

Top Replies

All Replies

• I rinse mine after every use and do what I posted in the link on a weekly basis.

The link refers specifically to the strap with the removable module. I've had one of those for years and like them because the strap is able to be put in the washing machine. I always remove the module after use and rinse that too, and leave it off until next use. Hence, unlike some, I've never seen rust build up on the press studs.

The newer one-piece straps are different though and cannot be machine washed. However, I do use soap in the shower after virtually every use to clean it or at worst, just a rinse in warm water after a swim. 

Never ceases to amaze me when some post that their strap is covered in encrusted 'gunk' and smells and not working properly! Strange that. Properly looked after, these straps just keep on going.

• The link refers specifically to the strap with the removable module.

I realize that, but as I also mentioned, it works fine with my Tri.  Garmin's manual basically has the same instructions for the one piece straps.

www.youtube.com/watch

• HRM Run does not record activities.

• I'm not sure what you mean.  Are you referring to storing the data and transferring it later?  If so, you're correct.   I wasn't initial sure if the Run had this capability along with the Tri and Swim.

• I regularly put my HRM-Tri into the washing machine, no problem for me at all. It needs to be disabled on the watch though or else the watch shows the heartbeats of the washing machine.

• Never ceases to amaze me when some post that their strap is covered in encrusted 'gunk' and smells and not working properly! Strange that. Properly looked after, these straps just keep on going.

Agreed. I ordered my Tri / Swim combo as a pre-order when they were announced. Pretty much just after reading this. Both are still going strong and absolutely no problems. The swim has slightly changed color but nothing that would impact functionality. I do rinse mine after every use or at least every other use. I think I have used mild soap once or twice a year while rinsing. 

If I have to buy another strap it will be HRM-Tri. Since the current one has lasted from late 2015 to this date without problems I see no reason to change. Especially since it has the memory to sync the HR later.

• I am glad for you that yours has not been colonized by a wild sourdough starter.

I further apologize for not saying in my initial post "Despite extreme diligence in 100% following of the care guidelines, my HRM-Run stinks like a pasture."

Even with the prescribed care, it started stinking. I then embarked on 2 months of initially every-other use moving to daily washing with mild shampoo, body wash, Dawn, Murphy's Oil Soap, and other mild cleaners. The strap continued to get worse to the point where it contaminated other clothing within minutes of putting it on.  My shirts are ruined and my car smells like a Belgian cheese.

I am now in the midst of a multi-day trial of using Clear Gear Sports Disinfecting and Deodorizing Spray, this seems to have stopped it from getting worse but has not eliminated the odor nor the odor transfer to clothes.

I live in a semi-arid climate and do not generally have issues with stinky sports gear. I've been using HRM straps for 15 years and this is the first one that has acquired a persistent funk.  I've never needed to do anything special other than rinse and occasional wash.

It has reached the point where I will send the above diatribe into Garmin Support asking for a warranty replacement (the strap is only 4 months old).

I reiterate my recommendation for a different unit.

• Even with the prescribed care, it started stinking. I then embarked on 2 months of initially every-other use moving to daily washing with mild shampoo, body wash, Dawn, Murphy's Oil Soap, and other mild cleaners. The strap continued to get worse to the point where it contaminated other clothing within minutes of putting it on.  My shirts are ruined and my car smells like a Belgian cheese.

I am now in the midst of a multi-day trial of using Clear Gear Sports Disinfecting and Deodorizing Spray, this seems to have stopped it from getting worse but has not eliminated the odor nor the odor transfer to clothes.

Wow!  I too have been using HR straps for around 15 yrs and I've never heard anything remotely close to your experience.  I've had my Tri for nearly 3 years (a Garmin soft strap even longer) and it's used 4-5 days a week.  No odor whatsoever and it's working as good as day 1. 

• does the H10 have Run-dynamic features?

update: no it haven't...

• Does not appear to. 

Question is, how useful the metrics are? What can you do with and about them? Is there research showing self adjustment works and is healthy long term?

Polar generally is used in university studies on hr, as it head proven scientifically correct.  Don't take my word on it. Do your research