Switching from Running to Cycling V02 Max for Training Status?

Given the winter cold, I've been cycling indoors with power meter pedals instead of doing any outdoor running.  For a couple months, my Training Status said that it was using my Cycling V02 Max Trend for its calculations.  Perfect.

Then last week, I went for a few long walks without an HRM and stupidly used the Run Activity with just OHR.  This resulted in a bunch of bad Running V02 Max readings that aren't meaningful.  Unfortunately, even though I've kept cycling indoors, my Training Status switched over last week and started using my Running V02 Max Trend instead (based on the bad data).  I know that deleting the activities doesn't do anything to the recorded V02 max readings so instead, I'm just waiting and hoping that the Training Status will soon switch back over to use my Cycling V02 Max Trend.

But, I've produced four cycling readings and zero running readings in the past five days and Training Status says its still based on my Running V02 Max Trend (annoying!).  Anyone know how long it takes (e.g. how many activities of one vs. the other) for the algorithm to switch over and start using Cycling V02 Max again?  I think that it likes to default to Running in general, but, if I'm not running at all for a given period of time, it really should start using my Cycling numbers again soon I'd hope.

Thanks.

• The only thing I might say (Pascal covers the actual requirements and yes, you absolutely need a power meter + HRM for cycling V02 max) is that if you are wearing a Stryd foot pod while cycling, you will also get V02 max readings however, they are garbage.  This is because Stryd foot pods (and maybe some others) are power meters and your watch or Edge doesn't know the difference between a true cycling power meter and one made for running.  I had that happen to me once a while back.  Just went for a leisurely bike ride wearing sneakers that had my Stryd attached and came home to see a strange V02 max for cycling.  But, if you're not wearing anything like that, Pascal's info is 100% accurate.  Cycling V02 max requires power meter + HRM (but can be indoors or out).  Running V02 max requires GPS + HRM (doesn't work on treadmills for example).

• I literally have a vo2 max for cycling... and I don't have a power metre. Explain that then?

• I don't have a Stryd. I have a cycling vo2 max. Thankfully same as my running now. But yeah, not used indoor trainer in months or with this watch either. No power metre. Still got a vo2 max on the bike. Please explain that then?

• Default value? Manual setting? Aliens?

• Well then go to the Vo2Max widget on the watch. It will tell you the date of the estimation.

You can also go to the Vo2Max report in Garmin Connect. You will see the dates when you got new estimates

• I recently had a similar situation! I was traveling for work to a warmer area so I did outside running over two weeks and it switched on me. My cycling v02max is way higher than my running v02max so it tanked all my metrics. 

Besides not having a higher score, this algorithm stinks because I have a health condition that requires me to do a cycling CPEX test every 6 months for work. I rely heavily on my cycling number to measure my progress. I wish it would let me tell the formula which I wanted to use. I like running more, but I need to track cycling and would rather have that number used.