Fenix 6X Sapphire - Abnormal battery drain during activity since v6.0 update

Hy!

Since v6.0 software update I've abnormal battery drain during running. Usally I'm running 1,5 hour with music (Jaybird Vista or Jaybird X3) and HRM RUN and Stryd footpod connected. Normally I'm loosing 10-15% of battery, but since software version 6.0 these activitys draning over 30%!!! battery. 

Nothing changed since the software update, I'm listening the same Spotify playlists, using the same external devices and nothing is installed on the watch. No watch faces, no widgets, just Datarun premium and Stryd Zones datafields, but I'm using them since months.

In watch mode, the battery drain is normal, I'm loosing a few percentage daily. Normally I'm charging the watch after 5-6 days with daily 1,5 hour training, but since the update it barely lasts 3 days. Today I went running with 42% and after 80 minute I've noticed that only 8% remaind.

Has anyone met something like this?

• Today I've done 45 min TRX/kettlebell crosstraining with HRM Run chest strap, but without music and GPS.

The 45 min. activity has used 1-2% of battery. Still very good battery usage.

Tomorrow I'll try running without music, but with HRM RUN and Stryd footpod.

• Seems to improve! We will see, what happens with GPS

• Today I was running 55 mins with

• GPS
    • Music (Spotify Podcast + Jaybird X3)
    • HRM Run chest strap
    • Stryd footpod

and the one hour activity used 5-6% battery (87%->81%).

Looks like the hard reset and setup from scratch solved the battery issue. 

• Good to hear the hard reset solved it for you.  I'd prefer not to take that route if at all possible in order to avoid losing my data screen configurations, etc.

I installed the 6.10 beta firmware in hopes that might solve the issue, but unfortunately it did not.

Garmin support hasn't been able to provide much insight and are now just recommending that they send me a replacement unit. 

• I understand. It took me three hours to setup everything, redownload my playlists, etc... but now the battery is better then ever. I've just finished a 60 min kettlebell session with HRM RUN belt, and I was loosing only 1% battery. 

• Interesting!  I seem to be having the same problem.  I lost ~30% battery in a 1 hour run yesterday with music + jaybird tarah pro + HRM-run and was blaming 6.10, but I had not done a run with music on 6.0, so probably the problem was introduced with 6.0 and not 6.10.  I will do a full factory reset tonight or tomorrow.

• I’ve had the exact same thing the last two days...is it the update do you think? 

• I’ve got the same problem the past two days if I train before work(no more then and 1:30hrs) by 9am it’s completely dead. Is this a Garmin problem with the 11:10 updates? I’ve even restored back to factory settings last night and now it doesn’t even connect to the app and battery is still draining rapidly Thumbsdown tone2. I’m considering sending it back to supplier but don’t think that will solve the problem 

• Mine is right now only holding for a few hours from 100 % til to 20% within two to three hours there must be something wrong!

• I did some testing on this with my 6 pro where a particular CIQ datafield was resulting in a 9-10%/hr battery drain with recent firmwares where previously it was 5-6%/hr. 

The datafield 'DIY' is made up of a number of user configurable elements. 2 of the elements I was using were Phone Connection Status & Notification Counter.
    I found that when I removed these elements from the datafield my battery usage returned to 5-6%/hr

When I was using the datafield with those elements configured; On finishing & saving the activity, sometimes but not always, the 9-10% battery drain continued & would flatten the battery in no time at all, unless I restarted my watch where battery consumption would return to normal

My conclusion was that during an activity the Fenix is maybe invoking a more 'aggressive' BT communications, possibly in an attempt to improve connection stability & if any datafield elements & maybe sensors too (I don't have any BT sensors) are using the BT connection, the result is a increased battery drain. Similarly when finishing the activity it appears to me that this 'aggressive' BT communication is not being closed down properly, resulting in further battery drain post activity, where restarting the watch is the only way to resolve it. I also found that the battery drain continued even after charging the watch unless I restarted it either before charging or after.

This is only my observations on one device, which may not be applicable to all the reported battery drain events so feedback to prove/disprove this would be welcomed