Fenix 6 PRO OHR completely off

After 4 months using my F6 Pro I just realized the OHR is completely off. I have been noticing from the Garmin Connect app that my resting heart rate has been lower these last months and I thought it was normal, but then reading that so many people were having bad OHR readings I decided to check it out and compare it to the Heart Rate Strap I use when I train and the results are completely off.

As you can see from the photos the HR reading doesn't match at all, one photo is while training and the other photo is after the workout.

The screenshots are from Garmin Connect, As you can see the resting heart rate looks lower, I got my F6Pro October 10th. Before I was using a Vivoactive 3 and before an F3HR.

What should I do about it? Is my resting HR lower because my OHR is not reading well? I don't use my F6 to train, but I do care about my resting HR and my HRV

• My resting heart rate from my 6X Pro Solar is in line with three years of data from my 3HR and 5X+. Current average is 48 over recent weeks/months. My understanding/assumption is that this value is generated during waking hours rather than sleeping time and is a lowest average over a couple of minutes or so. Certainly I can witness lower values momentarily, but these do not lower the value recorded by the watch. 

I also have worn an Oura ring for about six weeks so far. The ring measures heart rate only while sleeping (unless I record a relaxation "Moment") and it has my lowest resting heart rate during sleep on average about 2 beats lower than the watch, at 46. Sleeping average overall, i.e. not the lowest, from the ring is 50 BPM. 

So overall my numbers seem entirely correct for resting heart rate. For recorded activities I always use a chest strap, but testing the watch OHR when I first got the watch showed no cause for concern. Other than small lag from OHR, values tallied within a beat of two of the strap.

As for OHR values during elevated activity, but not recording that activity, I've witnessed repeated failure of the watch to respond correctly to increased heart rate. I have not retested this on the latest firmware as its not much of an issue for me. Impression is that the watch is better than it was, but I have not tested properly. 

1. This may or may not help you, but I noticed my heart rate was quite a bit off and eventually realized that I needed to wipe off the sensor area occasionally. if you wear it day in /day out through sweaty exercises and, in my case, on a dusty jobsite all day, a thin layer of sweat /grime might build up . 
  • My 6x pro is way off! On the turbo trainer last week, my HR was as much as 20 BPM difference compared to my strap! It's #%+&@; ridiculous given this is a 600 quid device, I ain't happy!

• Read these and tell us what you're doing wrong:

For those wondering...

The first link explains how the wrist HR works and what can affect its readings

The second link has the Garmin recommendation on watch placements for best readings.

From looking at the pictures the watch is being worn at the wrist bone contrary to what Garmin recommends and it may also be work too lose allowing it to slide and not allow the watch to get a good reading.

• It also won't work properly when bicycling.

• It sure can work properly, just not without starting an activity profile.

• Certain Types of Activities Can Affect Heart Rate Performance

Activities that cause flexing of the wrist (ex. rowing, weight lifting, or gripping a tennis racket) may create an effect similar to wearing the watch too tightly and restrict blood flow.  When this occurs the watch may have a difficult time detecting an accurate heart rate. 

• Additionally, HR is calculated differently for each activity.  Use the activity app that matches the activity being done.  For example, using the Elliptical app while running outdoors could result in incorrect HR being recorded.

The "ex." part of Garmin's quoted statement above shows examples. While cycling isn't explicitly listed, it involves flexing the wrist and using grip. It is absolutely going to interfere with optical wrist HR accuracy.

They are further wearing the watch far too close to their wrist, counter to Garmin's instructions:

Wearing the Device

• Wear the device above your wrist bone.
      NOTE: The device should be snug but comfortable. For more accurate heart rate readings, the device should not move while running or exercising. For pulse oximeter readings, you should remain motionless.

• That pic shows someone with scrawny straight arms.  I unfortunately have short muscular arms. My arm profile is nothing like that and it's pretty tricky for me to wear a watch above the wrist bone as my arms taper down to my wrists. /sigh  Curse my life time of weight lifting!

• I've tried the watch in every possible position on my wrist! Categorically I can attest, this OHR sensor does not work correctly, and many people around the world are saying the same thing! "It's terribly inaccurate!"