Fenix 6 Series - 5.76 Beta Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Fenix 6s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15166
Fenix 6s Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15164
Fenix 6: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15162
Fenix 6 Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15160
Fenix 6x Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15168

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

5.76 Change Log Notes:

• Fixed an intermittent issue that could lead to rapid battery drain on music products.
  • Made some improvements to the DogTracker widget.
  • Made several other bug fixes and code improvements.

We have temporarily removed in-activity data field editing in this beta. We have identified a few bugs and while they are difficult to reproduce, we do not want our customers to experience these issues. When these bugs are resolved, this feature will be added back in to software.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 2.60
Sensor Hub: 4.20
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 4.30
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 2.10
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• It works for me. But so 5.74 and 75 worked. Training status got updated from No Status to Productive now, after one week of activity (only indoor cycling)

• VO2Max while cycling compares HR and power (from a power meter), not HR and pace as it does for running. No power meter on your city bike = no VO2Max calculation, and it won't change your VO2Max numbers.

• Just a suggestion... If there really is some sort of outside activity low power OHR mode ... Why not to use the MoveIQ to trigger high power, high frequency sampling mode when a walk, run, bike activity is identified? Or why is the OHR not regulating its frequency of sampling based on current HR? When it goes up ... It should switch to high frequency sampling.

• this is on how the polar vantage works. if it senses movement, it samples at a higher rate, but the fenix samples every second i think.

• Garmin watches sample at 1s intervals during activities irrespective of whether Smart Recording or 1s recording is set. That setting only affects the size of the activity file and the granularity of the track shown on the map. Does not affect distance ro pace/speed metrics.

Out of activities it has been reported that heart rate is sampled less frequently although I haven't seen (might have missed) the official Garmin reference for this. In a way it makes sense as out of activities it can easily be argued that most people's heart rate varies little in terms of duration of elevation and peak of elevation. Averaging heart rate over a minute or several throughout the day is unlikely to impact calorie guesstimation to any great degree.

Unless of course you are the outlier who apparently spends all day, every day with non-activity heart rate over 160. 

• And this is why some elect to use Trail Run to record runs where they don't want their running VO2max impacted. Do you have a power meter on your City Bike?

• I didn't mean how frequently it measures and records HR. I meant with what frequency the sensor reads changes in blood flow .. or what ever it does .. to be able to detect higher HR. Some people here complain that outside of an activity they do not get HR measurement above certain value. You can see that the LED of the sensor is actually flashing, not constantly ON. I'm not sure what is the difference between how the sensor detects HR in and out of an activity ... But frequency and intensity of the LED flashes could be one of the differences.

• No idea in that case. But logically it has to be several times a second to detect heart rates greater than 60bpm.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Hi @ll, I don't want to install beta software on my watch (F6xPS) but curious, whether or not the calories from swimming activities are now added to the total calories?

Currently I'm on 5.00 and calories burnt in openwater or indoor swimming activities are not added to the burnt calories in the day. I noticed, that this is a known issue but wondering if it's solved now.

Would be great, if someone could try it out and give some feedback.

Thanks

• I have been struggling with high battery usage for several weeks so I was very happy to see that FW 5.76 is also focusing on this problem.

In fact, after installing the upgrade, everything returned to normal and even below normal (~ 0.17 / h). During 20 hours in watch mode total battery consumption was 3% - great! Then I went to training (treadmill plus some strength with music from Deezer). In about 1.5 hours of training (1h activity recording) the battery has lost 7% - a lot but still OK.

My problem began after the training - I turned everything off but the use of the battery didn't return to the state of the watch mode. Within an hour there was a decrease of over 1%. I turned off/on watch - still no improvement. Next 2 hours - a decrease in battery level by 2%.
    Then I decided to remove and reinstal the music apps (I use Deezer and Spotify) - I also charged the watch. After that, everything returned to 0.17 / h but I only used it in watch mode.

Therefore, I wonder what the problem with music applications was, that in the FW update it was described as "intermittent". , I'm kindly asking you for clarification, because maybe it will allow me to avoid such problems in the future.

Maybe someone has a suggestion?