This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vibration Stops Working

One of the people i know with the Fenix 6x Saphhire had the vibration motor issue happen a few weeks ago and mine has now went out over the last 2 days.  I use it as my daily wake up alarm so when it changed it was pretty apparent.  Noticed it was pretty 'rattley' yesterday, today there's something obviously mechanically wrong with it in that the motor has to no longer be solidly attached to anything.  Everyone who's heard it agrees, something's come loose inside.  Because of that the vibration is going to be transferred to the power/signal cabling attached to the motor and that has a highly likelihood to cause it to fail at some point down the road. 

Note the watch has never been dropped, I rarely take it off other than to charge it, never hit anything, haven't used it to drive nails into oak or anything like that,  the case and glass are pristine. 

The first one the other runner had was replaced by Amazon without questions.   I'm sorry to say REI seemed reluctant at first to want to deal with it, potentially in their defense none of their people have heard of the issue before.  "Can you have a jeweler open it up and take a look?"  When I politely balked at that option for a watch that's less than 2 months old and provided them with links to 3 different threads on here about it as well as a youtube video where you can listen they did acknowledge that this falls under the returns policy but with a caveat their return department will examine the watch and decided to either replace, refund or send it back to me.   She couldn't speak to which option would be chosen. 

A little disappointing given how much I've spent with them over the years.   Because I expect it'll take a minimum of 2 weeks back and forth to get a replacement mailing it to the home office I'm going to delay and try to exchange it at the new store that opens next week that's not too far off from me. 

Because I have access to multiple samples in person it's pretty obvious the difference between them in sound, vibration and roughness.   It's also a little concerning that of an admittedly small sample set of 3 watches, 2 of them failed within the first 2 months with the vibration motors coming loose.  Either a 66% failure rate or RNGesus has it out for our little circle. 

I was unable to find any tear downs of the Fenix 6 family to try and see just how the motor might be mounted (screwed or glued) and just how fixable this might be.  If it wasn't for the inability to get a new gasket I'd likely try to open the case and see myself but right now for a $850 watch that's still in the 90 day return window much less a year out that's just not really an option I want to explore, as least not as the path blazer for this particular model. 

If anyone's taken one of the 6's apart and happened to take any photos' I'd love to see them. 

• There's no way without an official statement from Garmin that they are aware of a potential issue affect some batch of the watches etc had this issue and that this issue has been fixed with watches of serial number XXXXXXX or higher.  It's unlikely they'll do that unless it turns out to be a large set of watches that have it.  

The two watches I've seen that have the issue have very different serial numbers so it's unlikely they're from the same batch or even possible the same assemblers.   Or it's possible these watches with the issues are the "Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend" watches. 

But with that said, you can get it RMA'd for a year from date of purchase.   So if it happens again in that time frame just get it replaced again.   They have as painless a process other than the wait of a warranty replacement of any vendor I've dealt with.  You get to keep using the watch until you get your replacement so that's a big plus to me. 

• I’ll test new Garmin RMA process.

I ran thru it last time for a F3 back in 2015, I had to send the defective product prior to any Garmin shipment.

• Did anyone removed the strap, and tried it again. Mine began rattling, but its the vibration through the watchband Slight smile

• Indeed, pulled the bands off and the pins as well.   It's definitely internal. 

• Same case for me. Started rattling, figured it was the band. And I was right. Guess something in the band gets lose if the strap is not super super tight

• Damn it!!! I was wrong! My started doing it too. Theres a motor clicking sound after the vibrate every so often. The vibration sounds and feels different every so often. I removed the straps and strap pins. Just the watch itself. Put it in count down timer and had it vibrate not stop for the last 5min. Jesus!!

• They probably used a bad glue in that batch and that lost its property. Contact Garmin for replacement or repair.

• Yeah I wonder if we're not seeing a wider impact if most people don't have a lot of vibrations.  There may be some critical mass of vibrations where it comes loose.  

The 2 I know of, especially mine, used the vibrator a lot for daily training workouts for pace changes and I used it daily as a wake up, plus all day notifications from the phone.

One was bought from rei the other from a vendor on Amazon so it's less likely they're both from a single "bad batch".

I'm almost tempted to take my 5x apart and see how its mounted as I suspect it's going to be basically identical to the 6x.  I'd love to know if the 6x is screwed, glued, taped, or just friction fit into place, just out of general design choice curiosity.  

• Got my replacement from REI yesterday and a couple of interesting tidbits - 

My original had a system ID of 3303.  The new one is 3311.   No idea what that means in reality, different batch, outsourcer, produciton line, assembly plant, whatever. 

The new watch has better engraving on both the bottom plate and the middle case.  It's larger, deeper, and clearer in direct comparision. 

The new watch's DLC is not quite the same shade as the original.  To the point I was wondering if I'd been given the right model when I took it out of the box.  I compared it to another 6x Sapphire with the same starting serial of 3303 with the same observations by mself and another person that the shade was different. It's a little more 'brushed' in texture which results in it appear slightly lighter in silver/grey tones than the other two. 

The new watch shipped with FW 3.1.  The other three had 2.x on them. 

So... with two out of 3 watches of the original batch that I'm personally familiar with having vibration issues, that this appears to be a completely different batch model, I'm hopeful it won't strike again. 

Oh and LED color is fine, buttons are all fine etc.  No flaws in this on so far. 

• Had mine replaced too due to rattling. It appears to be same batch (all identifiers are the same) but the baisel looks rougher than the first one. The back botton is dbl clicky. I expect to exchange it with in a few weeks, my confidence level it will perform as intended is low. It came with fw 2.20

Trying to attach screen shots but they are but showing up here :S