How to get a more accurate current pace?

I love my Fenix 6, but when I'm trail running, the current pace can be very inaccurate. I'm aware that tree cover makes the GPS less accurate, which in turn will give an inaccurate current pace.

Are there any ways of getting a better current pace? Does anyone have any luck with some of the pace data fields in the app store?

Would a Garmin Foot Pod give an accurate pace?

• I have nothing but good things to say about Stryd.
    Once you find the right calibration factor, I find it to be extremely consistent across all speeds and conditions.

Allthough I have no personal experience with the Garmin FP, I've heard from others around here that it's more difficult (impossible?) to calibrate properly as it requires different calibration factors for different speeds.

• Need to look into Stryd. It's a pretty big investment compared to the Garmin FP though ($219 vs $69).

I have zero experience with running power. Is it really that valuable as an additional metric?

• I find my lactate threshold pace and HR estimated by Garmin to be quite sensible for flat road running, and that the critical power estimated by Stryd matches up to that quite good, so when running hills I find the power metric much more useful instead of pace for controlling intensity.

• Hi,

I bought Garmin Footpod as I want accurate pace when I'm running on track.

As SAHO wrote, you need to calibrate it for different paces, for example this workout:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4168024919

I ran 3x3km - 1st 3km I had calibrated FP for slower pace - result 3.09km

next 3km I tried to recalibrate it and I get 3.03km and finally on the last one I got good calibration factor - 3km.

Maybe Stryd is better but very expensive :/

• As other say a foot pod is probably the best choice if you really want current pace.

For trail running I find that quire useless anyway since conditions change very often, instead I use an average over last minute. I wrote a data field for F3 that I'm currently implementing for F6 that shows the average over a period of time (you choose) and a trend indication based on an average for a shorter period of time. I will let you know when I post a version for F6.

• That totally makes sense! I just installed a data field that is configurable to show a rolling average pace: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/28fdec7f-3807-4d24-b85a-4c86b40501f4

That's all I need.

• I have switched from Fenix 5 to Fenix 6 Pro. I love this watch but it seems to have a very serious issue with current pace which is not present in Fenix 5.

when I am running on the same trails as with Fenix 5 I see current pace from 5:30-7:00 and in the lap average suddenly there is 5:20... with Fenix 5 I was able to see the correct current pace... hopefully it get fixed soon :(

• Running power is a valuable metric IF you use it to train with, otherwise it's just anothe metric.  The same with all the Stryd data points that the data field adds to the fit file and shows up in GC.   

I own 2 stryds if that helps and the two people I run with the most also own one.   As SAHO said, nailing the calibration preciesly for your particular stryd and your stride while not absolutely mandatory is good at dialing the Stryd down to the nth degree.  I've also owned 2 Garmin FP's as well as Suunto (made in the same factory). 

For me, my watch, my body mechanics and my particular Stryd hardware of the current V4 Stryd my calibration is 99.5.  I've had it measure a 51.4 mile out as as 51.6 miles. Unfortunately I didn't finish that race but just going by the GPS track on the map it was pretty spot on at mile 91.8.   Close enough for me.  My V2 Stryd needs a calibration of 101.3 to be that precise. 

It's critical NOT optional if you do not maintain a 12 minute or faster pace the entire run that you add your Stryd number to the Stryd datafield settings, otherwise the Stryd will go to sleep on you during the slow sections and stop recording. 

On almost any equally split out and back even with mixed pacing on non-techical terrain it almost always will have my training run stop within 3 or 4 meters of where I started when I get back.  It really is that precise for me.   Not as impressive but this morning it measured a 5K as 3.12 but I did not take SPR due to weaving back and forth through the pack for a fair bit of the course and taking some corners fairly wide. 

With that said, do you really need it?  No, probably not for 80% of runners.  It's a nice to have, a cool tech toy but for most of us, myself included, unless you're running in hard GPS terrain, the GPS is 'good enough'. 

But if you want to plan to run at a 8:35 pace +/- 5 seconds for 'real' for example, then the Stryd is your only choice. 

And if you buy into the run with power training it's also your only option.  Note I"m not saying running with power doesn't work, too many elites have used it to break PR's, so it does work.  Running with power doesn't fit my particular need with ultra marathons other than a general guide.