Anyone STILL having heart rate accuracy issues with their Fenix 6?

Hi all,

Super frustrated, but I am still having issues with my Fenix 6S and heart rate accuracy even with the 4.20 software update. I'm wondering if it's just me or what the deal is? I had a 5S Plus before this and had no issues doing the same activities so I really don't think it's user error. My heart rate hardly reads over 110 during really vigorous exercise when my heart rate is closer to 160+. I have tried wearing on the inside of my wrist, tried my other wrist with no luck. It consistently reads 80-110 bpm the whole time. I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade if I knew this was going to be an issue. I know that wearing a chest strap is the most accurate, but I don't like to have to wear it for all of my work outs and my old Fenix was totally fine as well as my apple watch before that. Any suggestions? 

• I went up 12 flights of stairs and my average heart rate was 86. I was dying by the top. My heart was pounding by the 3rd floor.

I went for a brisk 5 min walk and it was 110. I used the stairs Garmin app tho, seems to be something wrong with that . Same with hike. 

Then I was driving, and it was around 80s, then spiked to 120 for a few mins... Nothing was diff in the drive lol.

Very spotty performance for a 1.3k cad device 6x pro. It's not an excuse to sell something that's half baked - "give them time to fix the software" lol

• Same happened to me on my 12km hike this past weekend. You would think each device is an iteration of the previous, but it seems with Garmin It's start from scratch. No lessons learned or anything. Seen this with Fenix 5 and 3. 

Device works as advertised 1-2yrs after release... At which point it's been replaced by a new release, which will be as buggy as current. Vicious cycle. No winning for the customer.

• I have also low HR readings at my wrist, goes never over 110 bpm

• I got a new unit and seemed to clear most of my issues up, on this I did notice is that I do have the have the new unit up higher then I had the Fenix 5 device in order to get an accurate reading. But I have done runs, walks, and a hike and seems within range +/- 5-8%

• I exchanged mine for a replacement after taking to tech support. The new unit is better, but still low. Went from not being able to break 150bps to making out at 170bps during intense workout. A more realistic number would be in the 190s for me. I'm concerned that this is a hardware problem, given that two units consistently show the same symptoms but to differing degrees.

• Mine's not great – especially compared to my 245 – and I've been in contact with tech support about it (and given them a bunch of my data). For now I'm back to running with a chest HR strap.

• I've never had a optical watch based HR work on my wrist.  well, it works fine when at rest or walking around.  even works for the swim- remarkably well.  but running?  no way.  doesn't matter how tight- it will always eventually pick up my cadence.  I used a Wahoo TCKR on my forearm.  Guess I just don't have the blood flow or the right wrist shape.  I'm not expecting any kind of firmware 'fix'.  the wrist is a lousy place to measure HR.  works for some people.  

• Nice to see a 'responsible' post for a change :-)

• Just thought I'd post based on some data I just looked at af ew minutes ago and saw the thread.   I went on a naked run today with just the watch, last run before my 100 this weekend and my scosche 24 is packed up with my gear. 

Saturday did a 10m taper run and averaged 119 BPM at a specific pace using my Scosche.  Note: because we're getting into cooler temperatures I have a bad spike at the start of the run until enough blood flow hit the skin surface to register correctly.  This run start spike in colder temps is something I've had through 5 scosches started with the original.  I wear the scosche on my forearm.  In 70's or higher it doesn't happen.  Below 70's and it's very common. 

Today, at the same temperatures and conditions, but using the 6X Sapphire did my last 4m taper run and averaged 118 BPM at the same average pace as Saturday's run (2 seconds difference average per mile). 

So for me it seems to be pretty spot on.  119 but with a 170bpm spike at the start for the scosche.  118 with the Garmen in practically identical conditions. 

One thing I do note is that the watch OHR data is very 'spikey' where-as the scosche is 'smoother'.   It's not crazy off the median values but it has no smoothing algorithm where-as the scosche seems to be applying a tiny bit of averaging over a the last trailing few data points.   The Fenix measurement to measurement it jumps up or down 1 or 2 beats leading to a line that looks like it was drawn by a drunk with a minor case of the DT's trying to draw a straight line.  It's 'mostly' straight but it does flicker up and down a tiny bit constantly. 

• Same. My hike hr was way to low, especialy at times where is irrational to be so