Anyone STILL having heart rate accuracy issues with their Fenix 6?

Hi all,

Super frustrated, but I am still having issues with my Fenix 6S and heart rate accuracy even with the 4.20 software update. I'm wondering if it's just me or what the deal is? I had a 5S Plus before this and had no issues doing the same activities so I really don't think it's user error. My heart rate hardly reads over 110 during really vigorous exercise when my heart rate is closer to 160+. I have tried wearing on the inside of my wrist, tried my other wrist with no luck. It consistently reads 80-110 bpm the whole time. I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade if I knew this was going to be an issue. I know that wearing a chest strap is the most accurate, but I don't like to have to wear it for all of my work outs and my old Fenix was totally fine as well as my apple watch before that. Any suggestions? 

• New RMA Fenix 6X Pro device. Same problem

• Recorded this with a F6 Pro and 5+ on separate wrists on OHR and a 945 on the handlebars reading from a chest strap. I've always had a couple  of dips even with the chest strap but the ones here will be where I was freewheeling downhill. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

New watch OHR perfect firware 5.0 

• I have a friend that also reports his OHR is working on his F6 Pro. if that is the case, it has to be a hardware issue as the firmware is the same for every model. If that is the case, i doubt new firmware will ever fix that.

• While the software/hardware might be the same, there are many individual, separate variables that affect optical heart rate measurement. These have been discussed time and time again since optical heart rate was included in a Garmin watch for the first time. Garmin make this clear in their support documents. It's clear on numerous sites on the interweb. There have been many published papers in scientific journals too. 

For example, this is my heart rate from OHR this morning. If I didn't tell you that spike was because I was adjusting the strap as it felt a bit loose you could easily assume there was an issue. But as you can see, even before I adjusted the strap, the reading was fine. And once adjusted stayed that way. The climb at the end reflects some extra effort climbing a slight incline and does not indicate a fault in the OHR. 

I could of course misrepresent these results and report this as a problem with the OHR. Consider a report that went like this: 

For heavens sake Garmin get this fixed! I wore my F6 Pro this morning and within minutes I had a nasty spike in heart rate when I was running at a constant pace. Further more, around 20 minutes you can see a clear sudden increase in heart rate followed by a gradual increase then a steep decline, despite the fact I was still maintaining a constant pace and intensity?

Just as plausible perhaps? But with the heart rate overlaid on the elevation the first report makes sense - 

If I go back to the early days with my 935 I can show more times when OHR wasn't working than it was. But generally now, for me it works well both during an activity and not. And I actually wear my watch quite loose. I have a tan mark (it is summer up here in the South) that sits halfway over my wrist bone. However, if I really want to be certain of reliable data, such as when doing intervals, I'll still revert back to a strap.

But others have different results. it is important to ensure that it is worn correctly. But it is also important to understand there are limitations in the technology that will not be fully resolved for everyone, if at all.

i doubt new firmware will ever fix that.

Correct. As long as there are so many individual variables the best we can expect are improvements that work for an increasingly larger majority but I'd be surprised if it ever works for absolutely everyone. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

1 Minute Concept 2 

• When you talking majority of people, pls consider there is a lot people upgrading from for example FR935 as i did to 6x and we know its working for our personalities as you said with old watches , with fenix6 we are getting random numbers generator, so please note that all everybody wants is the same or better quality for lot more expensive product. .. simply put, it was working with FR935 so it must work with 6x, and yes we were waiting two years for 935 to work correctly, and honestly, i dont want to wait another two years....

• I really really wanted to get a Fenix 6 sapphire or solar but can not in good conscious spend that amount of money on something this has a critical flaw. I hope that its fixed soon before i decide i cant wait any longer and have to go with something else. Please Garmin, get it fixed.

• I installed the latest version of the firmware 5.0 and I am still having trouble with my HR when broadcasting it to my smart trainer.  Numbers haven't changed at all.  

• I'm on Beta 5.76 with the Fenix 6x Plus and while in activity HR sometimes works fine. Broadcast and all day HR tracking are still very broken.

Yesterday I went after some Strava segments of my bike and my HR was at 180+ for minutes at a time but the watch barely went above 100 and showed a max of 120 for the day.