Sleep tracking not accurate ...

Hi All

I got Fenix 6x Pro two weeks ago upgrading from Fenix 3 HR. I love the new watch and I was really pleased to see much more detailed sleep tracking to my old watch. I started checking my sleep record after each night and...

Last week was really tough for me. Tough negotiations at work resulted in a lot of stress and sleepless nights. I literally couldn't sleep at all, maybe had few rounds of sleep but woke up after really short time, then just lying for few minutes, turning, rolling, then standing up and going to the bathroom... In the record in the morning I can see I had 7 hours of sleep, the only difference is that it recorded only 8 minutes of deep sleep and a lot of REM and light sleep, which is obviously not true ... I know that a watch cannot know whether I'm actually asleep but recording a light sleep when I'm actually standing up and walking to the bathroom is clearly wrong...

Another thing is stress. I had stress peaks last week when I really physically felt bad and the stress ratio was high, but then I managed to get really relaxed through meditation and just refocusing and it was still high...

can this be improved somehow, maybe it needs time to learn my patterns, or is it just all we can get from a device like Fenix ... ?

• You really are a positive resource to this forum. Absolutely everything is wrong. 

• Nope. I only have problems with wrong HR (big problem, every calculation is wrong if HR is wrong) and inaccurate sleep tracking (minor problem, can live with this problem). GPS and other function are spot on for me, and when HR is solved will be best watch for my needs. 

But what bothers me most that Garmin ignoring this problems and dont comunicate with us.

• Yes i understand you have problems, garmin sleeptracking has never ever been good, but why not take this with Garmin, this is a user forum, Garmin don’t read here. Send them a email. I have always got answer when i mail to them, another thing with this sleep tracking is that it’s not done on the watch but on the Garmin servers, you can see the values change after sync during the day.

• I find that odd as well (that many screen shots here display a shortish period of deep sleep at the start of the night). My own Garmin Vivosmart 4 records a similar pattern of only about 1/2 hour of deep sleep per night, at the beginning of the sleep period. The only times I’ve seen more deep sleep is when I’m awakened in the middle of the night, so that deep sleep again is recorded just after re-falling asleep.

Garmin told me that the device has a difficult time with distinguishing sleep phases in people with low resting HRs (mine is about 49-50bpm). The thing is, the people using these trackers tend to be fit and therefore, with low resting HRs. I hope that they discover a better way to track sleep phases with these trackers soon. 

I wonder if adding a temperature sensor would help? Also, this could be useful in this new, Covid-time. 

• Accuracy is most of the time BS. like last night. 0min deep sleep and started tracking sleep while on sofa watching movie. I went sleep abaut 23.30, not before 22 like watch things. 

• Same issue here, i felt my vivoactive 3 musica was more accurate than my fenix 6s

• I have a low rest HR as well, but it was never a problem for my Fitbit band. Some engineers can do better it seems. Not really the case at Garmin unfortunately.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

Test

fenix 6x

apple watch 4 

Very good Garmin

Soft 9.0

• I know this is an older thread but I’m new to the Finix 6 pro and just ran across this.  I find the sleep tracking to be very accurate.  I’m quite experienced with tracking my sleep, having done sleep studies involving lucid dreaming, and there was a time in my life when I had some of the worst insomnia you could imagine. I spent years trying different techniques to cure my insomnia and I did cure about 4 years ago.  This watch actually surprises me with how accurate it is when tracking my sleep.  So I’m definitely surprised to see so many people having issues, so I’m definitely surprised to see so many people having issues.  The key might be how you wear the watch.  I keep it real tight on my wrist, it took a couple weeks to get use to it.  Also I’m fit and have like no fat on my arm.  Just a thought. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to 4760632

Same here