Sleep tracking not accurate ...

Hi All

I got Fenix 6x Pro two weeks ago upgrading from Fenix 3 HR. I love the new watch and I was really pleased to see much more detailed sleep tracking to my old watch. I started checking my sleep record after each night and...

Last week was really tough for me. Tough negotiations at work resulted in a lot of stress and sleepless nights. I literally couldn't sleep at all, maybe had few rounds of sleep but woke up after really short time, then just lying for few minutes, turning, rolling, then standing up and going to the bathroom... In the record in the morning I can see I had 7 hours of sleep, the only difference is that it recorded only 8 minutes of deep sleep and a lot of REM and light sleep, which is obviously not true ... I know that a watch cannot know whether I'm actually asleep but recording a light sleep when I'm actually standing up and walking to the bathroom is clearly wrong...

Another thing is stress. I had stress peaks last week when I really physically felt bad and the stress ratio was high, but then I managed to get really relaxed through meditation and just refocusing and it was still high...

can this be improved somehow, maybe it needs time to learn my patterns, or is it just all we can get from a device like Fenix ... ?

• sleep tracking is getting worse.. it is so inaccurate that hurts. I watch Tv and stuff before bed, but watch says i am in deep sleep. I get up at 6 oclock, but watch says i get up at 7. I woke up at midlle of the night and feed baby, get to WC nad other stuff and watch says no you slept. WTF

• I have a 6X Pro Solar and also wear an Oura ring. Last night I went to bed early, well before my scheduled 23:00 target, and both devices picked up start and end times quite closely. Deep sleep and REM are also close. Oura has identified rather more awake time during sleeping hours. I know I do wake to turn more than I perhaps should, but I don't do anything else in those waking moments. Maybe the Fenix misses them or ignores them, including such moments as light sleep, but overall the match in data seems quite high in terms of totals and corresponds with my own perception of events. I certainly won't lose sleep over the differences. ;-)

This is on firmware 5.00.

• Sleep tracking is pretty bad.  I routinely overshoot by more than an hour.  The Apple watch with, whatever sleep app I was using, was usually spot on.  Ironically, it is better than it used to be.

The stress widget / body battery have been weird too.  I've written that off to being sick, so maybe my HRV is pretty low and since I can't see that without putting on a monitor, my body battery really is a all-day 5.  My stress has been above 75 all afternoon, which may be correct because of the cold?

• because within those hours the pulseox sensor will measure if set to "sleep only"

• There is a serious problem with sleep detection.  I still wear my old Amazfit Bip  ($70 device) on other hand for comparison and it always tracks sleep accurately while Garmin Fenix 6 Saphire  I have detects watching TV or reading the book as sleep.  The funny thing is  if you overlay Movement on the graph you can easily see then actual sleep started

Take a look at the graph below - there is a lot of movement until close to 11pm - I was watching movie and moving around.  When there is spike of movement in the middle of the night which was correctly detected as briefly awake (going to pee) and  awake overshot by few minutes which we can see by spike of the movement... but it is not as critical. 

I wonder if anyone got official response from Garmin on the matter ?

• I too, am curious as to the actual sleep "stages" on the Garmin.  I have a Fenix 6 Pro Sapphire, and while the actual "times" of sleep seem pretty spot on, I'm seeing absolutely NO deep sleep.  If I wear the Apple watch to bed, using an app called "AutoSleep", or "Sleepwatch", they show anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours of deep sleep.  Nothing on the Gamrin.  While the "movement" graph appears to coincide fairly well, the definition of "deep sleep" has to be different for each device.  I tend to trust the Apple Watch sleep patterns more but do wish Garmin would give a better idea of how the sleep tracking was.  Or, (pray) that someone does an app that will give decent results as to time in each of the stages.

• True this is completly stupid approach.

• Exactly have the same problem. It started count as a sleep from 21.30 where i have went sleep 00:30. I am very disappointed from garmin. It a pitty i can't give back watch. Fitbit and Polar does sleep tracking much better. Stay away from Garmin if You want decent sleep tracking

• I have problems with sleep tracking too.i dont know ehy dont they sort this out. If Suunto, Polar, Samsung and Apple can do it, so can Garmin do it too. Most likely they ignoring this problem too.

• thanks, this continues for me to, just checked last night. It started logging sleep around 45 minutes before I actually went to bed, then it stopped tracking long after I woke up and went to have a bath ... it didn't record my 1 hour nap yesterday too ...