no update of training status when using stored hr-date from hrm-Tri

Hello,

I have a Fenix 6x. Running on the actual stable Software 4.1

I am experiencing problems with updating the training load when I make an acitivity with HRM-Tri and downloading the heart rate data after the activity. I give the watch and the hrm-tri up to 10 minutes in the resume/save screen, but that does not help.

training effect is calculated in the right way but the Training load (8) is completely wrong:

Here is the activity:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4137632556

and here is a similar activity where i was wearing the watch all the time - Training load 149

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4121574931

Is somebody else experiencing this problem too - should be the same for all Swimming activities? what are your thoughts about it.

many thanks for your help.
kr Florian

• My experience is from swimming rather than contact sports.

Training Status, etc. is calculated on saving. If you download the HR later, it won't get included in the statistics.

So at the end of your activity, when you press the stop button, wait a couple of minutes before saving for the data to download and be recorded WITH the activity.

• mcalista, it seems to me that when using the HRM-Tri in offline mode, the only time and way the watch gets the HR data from the Tri is after you hit save and then it searches for HRM-Tri and downloads.  Put another way, I don't believe I have ever used the Tri in offline mode, brought the watch back in range, hit stop on the activity, and had the watch download the data then.  It always wants to search for the Tri after hitting Save.  But, I have not intentionally tried to force this behavior.

Flow_Ryan, unfortunately, where I am, climbing and soccer are still shut down.  I will see if I can re-test our original issue and also test mcalista's concept with strength/weight training, where I don't need the foot pod connected live.  It may not be a good test, though, because my HR is lower and the maximum TE I will get is 2.0.

• i have already waited (up to 10 minutes) but unfortunately with no success... maybe it only works with swimming --> i will give it a try!

• I have been trying this for the last 2-3 weeks leaving it for a couple of minutes (2-10) in paused mode before I press Save.

With Yoga activity, it sometimes automatically downloads the HR data when I press save. That happens usually in longer sessions, more than an hour or more but it never happened in shorter ones  (15-30 mins) even if I can see big gaps after uploading. I feel it very inconsistent, couldn't find any pattern.

With Cardio and Other activities it does not work for me at all, it doesn't matter how long I am waiting before saving the workout.

• crt_hun, is it possible that when you are doing yoga workouts your watch and HRM are in range, or in and out of range, even though you're not wearing the watch?  And just to be clear, what do you mean by automatically downloading HR data?  I never have to manually tell it to look for the HRM-Tri/HR data, after I hit save it always says something like "searching for stored HR data" and then quickly moves to "downloading stored HR data".

• I have been doing yoga at home recently, the distance between the watch and the strap is approx. 1-2m. The watch is on the table, the strap is upon me Slight smile

In some yoga positions they do disconnect, I can see there is no HR data on the watch just -- and it always notifies when the strap reconnects.

By automatically downloading the HR data I mean exactly the same as you described. When it works after pressing Save it starts to search the stored HR data, then downloading and processing it.

However, this is not happening 95 percent of the times, it just saves the activity then I have to manually download the data, but doing so it does not update any metrics whatsoever apart from the HR graph.

In a yoga class I always put the watch into my bag after starting the activity and left it in the dressing room outside of range and it had been working as you described until around last year September/October when after an upgrade it stopped.

Due to other issues both my watch and the strap have also been replaced since then and the symptom remained the  same.

• crt_hun, I believe this is a different issue than what this thread is about.  You may want to start your own thread.

• Hello, today I got an email from Garmin Support:

"Since there is no continuous running activity of approx. 10 minutes from the links you sent, no load is measured here. Sometimes your pace is also at 0.

To get a training load calculated, several factors have to match. The activities sent to us are neither a run nor a cycling activity. With the first link there is no GPS recording.

Please note that the Vo2 max calculation must interact with the criteria in the link below in order to receive a training load. Further information can be found in the links.

Erklärung zur VO2 Max Berechnung

I have to say not the answer I was expecting… I do not think that they got my Point. Or what do you think 
    (Sorry the linked Website is just in German)

BR Florian

• I am not sure how to interpret what Garmin Support wrote.  It sounds like they are focused on the VO2Max.  This could be because they have misunderstood your problem, or because VO2Max is key to exercise load.

I have gone back and looked at my soccer activities before covid.  These are indoor soccer with my watch separate,  using Treadmill activity (GPS off), and downloading HRM-Tri data after the game.  The indoor games are different -- free subbing and no sub limits -- typically 4-6 minutes on at high continuous intensity and 2-5 minutes off and repeating.  Each 50-minute game gives 100-250 (usually 100-150) exercise load and multiple games back to back stack (eg, two games is 200-300 load).  I didn't see any games with unexpectedly low loads.

One indoor soccer game example: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4508204997

Here is a recent treadmill training run (Treadmill activity, HRM-Tri but watch on wrist so data recorded live): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5241295428

I am not sure what to suggest as it seems we have the same setup but my exercise load is working.  Have you checked all your personal profile settings (min/max HR, zones, height/weight/age, gender, etc)?  What does your VO2Max show?  Mine is 55-60, depending on the activity and where I am in terms of training.  You might also consider trying a full factory reset of your watch and/or trying a new HRM-Tri.

• thanks for your Input. I will give it a try with your Setup (treadmill activity). Maybe this is the key because I have copied a "others" activity for my Soccer activities.

everything else you suggested I have already tried. everything checked and also a new hrm-Tri is in usage.