no update of training status when using stored hr-date from hrm-Tri

Hello,

I have a Fenix 6x. Running on the actual stable Software 4.1

I am experiencing problems with updating the training load when I make an acitivity with HRM-Tri and downloading the heart rate data after the activity. I give the watch and the hrm-tri up to 10 minutes in the resume/save screen, but that does not help.

training effect is calculated in the right way but the Training load (8) is completely wrong:

Here is the activity:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4137632556

and here is a similar activity where i was wearing the watch all the time - Training load 149

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4121574931

Is somebody else experiencing this problem too - should be the same for all Swimming activities? what are your thoughts about it.

many thanks for your help.
kr Florian

• In the two examples above, were you swimming and using the HRM-Tri both times, one time with the watch on and one time without?  What app/activity were you using on the watch each time?

I use the HRM-Tri in both "online" and stored "offline" mode.  I use online mode for treadmill and outdoor running and stored mode for soccer and climbing (because wearing a watch is prohibited or inadvisable) and haven't noticed a huge difference.  For stored mode, I use the Treadmill app/activity to turn off GPS.  I have my Fenix 6S Pro set to record data every second (default is smart mode). 

• many thanks for your replay.

i  was using my watch for soccer - like you. one time with the watch (under a sweat band) and one time without. 

yesterday I had the chance to give it a try like you described it. i have choosen indoor treadmill as activity and followed the steps as mentioned. but again very low load but very high training effect and recovery time

here is the activity
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4148863046

hoe do you proceed at the end of the training?

• At the end of training using stored mode, I leave the HRM-Tri on my chest, retrieve my watch from my bag, hit Stop for the activity, and select Save.  Then the watch searches for and finds my HRM-Tri and downloads the data.  Then I get the usual activity summary, select Done.  Then I take off the HRM-Tri.

I had an ANT+ dropout problem with my original 6S Pro (Garmin replaced it so their engineers could look at it) so I don't have a lot of stored mode data to look at using my current 6S Pro.  That said, I believe I see a suspiciously low Exercise Load for the one soccer match I do have.  It is hard to be sure because it was an easy game with a lower average HR than my many treadmill runs.  I will try to remember to use my watch in stored mode the next time I run on the treadmill.

I think the HRM-Tri is working properly for both of us and the issue may be in how the watch is calculating Exercise Load in stored mode.  I would expect the load to either be normal or zero.  I know I often start my watch, lock the watch's keys, and put it in my bag before I leave my car.  I also sometimes have to walk 0.5km to the field, and sometimes stay near my bag to talk and warm up.  And then the same after.  So, my total activity might be 120 minutes but the first 15 and last 15 minutes the watch is in range of the HRM-Tri (but with much lower HR than while playing).  I wonder if the watch is calculating the Exercise Load value before the stored data is downloaded so it is only using data from the first and last 15 minutes?

It might be worth contacting Garmin support.  When I had the problem with the ANT+ dropouts, they were very responsive and helpful.

• At the end of training using stored mode, I leave the HRM-Tri on my chest, retrieve my watch from my bag, hit Stop for the activity, and select Save.  Then the watch searches for and finds my HRM-Tri and downloads the data.  Then I get the usual activity summary, select Done.  Then I take off the HRM-Tri.

i do exactly the same...

I will try to remember to use my watch in stored mode the next time I run on the treadmill.

many thanks for your help

in my last activity I have also a Little Training load. this might be the 5 minutes after warmup, when i am in the changing room before kick-off and the 15 minutes during half-time break where the watch is directly connected.

I am already in contact with Garmin support, but I get very slow Response, when I get one… :-(

• The other day, I did my usual treadmill warm up with the HRM-Tri on but the watch apart.  This is 5 minutes -- 1min@4mph, 1@5mph, 1@6mph and 2@7mph.  Usually ~0.52 mi total.  It showed 34 kcal, exercise load 7.  This is actually a bit more exercise load than with the watch on -- usually 4 for the same warm up.

I was going to do my main regular run with the watch separate, but realized I'd lose my pace information (and stride, cadence, etc) and didn't want to do that for such a long time.  FWIW, I did a 45 minute run of 7 miles (11.27km @ 15km/hr avg) and it showed 612 kcal, 138 BPM avg, 3.9 aerobic TE, 1.0 anaerobic and the exercise load was 175.  Several days before, I did the same run but had been on holiday with no training for 10 days.  HR was 145 BPM avg, kcal 650, TE 4.5 / 3.1 and the exercise load was 285. 

So the exercise load seems to quickly ramp up with increased effort/intensity.

• So the exercise load seems to quickly ramp up with increased effort/intensity.

yes thats true, thats why I am experiencing the big differences during my Soccer Matches, where I get real high values for Training effect and recovery time - but unfortunately almost no exercise load.

many thanks for your efforts!

garmin support is taking care of the case - but I think this will take weeks...

• Hello,

unfortunately I have to bring up this Topic again. In the last months and weeks due to COVID no Soccer Matches were allowed but now with the first game - stil the same Problem.

Has anybody of you found a possibility to solve it? Or are you all still experiencing the same?

Garmin Support didnot answer my Question last time - Maybe this time?

Thanks for your input

BR Florian

• Apart from the support, send a bug report to the beta Team as well. I did it months ago and also did it in the end of June. The more people report the bug the more likely to get it addressed.

• Thank you! Hopefully, it will be fixed soon.