Fenix 6X Sapphire - Problem with GPS Total Distance.

Been using the Fenix 6X Sapphire (Sony GPS chip) and have noticed,  it always shows a shorter distance traveled than my other Garmin products.

Last week (In order to test it) I went on a short hike. I brought along my Oregon 650, Fenix 3 Sapphire and the new GPSMAP 66i.

After the hike, the total travel distance was:

Fenix 3 Sapph. 7.59mi

Oregon 650      7.55mi

GPSMAP 66i    7.57mi

and

Fenix 6X Sapph 7.46 

So far, the Fenix 6X always reports the shortest distance.  I hope Garmin becomes aware of it and sends a fix in the near future.

Parents
  • In my case not only the total distance is incorrect, but also the elevation gain / loss.

Here my details for the same course, all data from Garmin Connect:

1. Run with Forerunner 630 (elevation correction enabled because no barometer):

• Distance: 16,5km
    • Elevation gain / loss: 296m / 294m

2. Run with Fenix 6 (elevation correction disabled because barometer should be more precise:

• Distance: 16km
    • Elevation gain / loss: 154m / 141m

3. If I draw the course in Garmin Connect:

• Distance: 17.12km
    • Elevation gain / loss: 322m / 319m

So compared to the Forerunner, Fenix is 3% off in total distance and has just half of elevation gain / loss.

BUT, where it gets interesting. If I export the Fenix 6 activity into a GPX and import this GPX to any online viewer it shows.... 16.69km total distance! Does that mean the data is recorded correctly but Garmin Connect / the watch UI is just displaying it wrongly?

Elevation gain/loss of this GPX without correction is 180/164.

Here is all the data from the exported GPX (report from https://www.trackreport.net/ which does no elevation correction)

• Distance: 16.62km
    • Elevation gain/loss: 324m / 319m

• Distance 16.69km
    • Elevation gain/loss: 180m / 164m

• Distance 17.11km
    • Elevation gain / loss: 166m / 167m

As a third option I used the official Swiss topo map and imported the gpx there. It does some elevation correction. I don't know how good this is, but they have the best maps and geo data in Switzerland. I don't know why it also changed the total distance as the path is shown like recorded sometimes off the tracks. I added this data in a table, all together:

Conclusion: I'm confused. But it looks like the recording is good, just the display on the watch and in Garmin connect is bad.

• In my case not only the total distance is incorrect, but also the elevation gain / loss.

Here my details for the same course, all data from Garmin Connect:

1. Run with Forerunner 630 (elevation correction enabled because no barometer):

• Distance: 16,5km
    • Elevation gain / loss: 296m / 294m

2. Run with Fenix 6 (elevation correction disabled because barometer should be more precise:

• Distance: 16km
    • Elevation gain / loss: 154m / 141m

3. If I draw the course in Garmin Connect:

• Distance: 17.12km
    • Elevation gain / loss: 322m / 319m

So compared to the Forerunner, Fenix is 3% off in total distance and has just half of elevation gain / loss.

BUT, where it gets interesting. If I export the Fenix 6 activity into a GPX and import this GPX to any online viewer it shows.... 16.69km total distance! Does that mean the data is recorded correctly but Garmin Connect / the watch UI is just displaying it wrongly?

Elevation gain/loss of this GPX without correction is 180/164.

Here is all the data from the exported GPX (report from https://www.trackreport.net/ which does no elevation correction)

• Distance: 16.62km
    • Elevation gain/loss: 324m / 319m

• Distance 16.69km
    • Elevation gain/loss: 180m / 164m

• Distance 17.11km
    • Elevation gain / loss: 166m / 167m

As a third option I used the official Swiss topo map and imported the gpx there. It does some elevation correction. I don't know how good this is, but they have the best maps and geo data in Switzerland. I don't know why it also changed the total distance as the path is shown like recorded sometimes off the tracks. I added this data in a table, all together:

Conclusion: I'm confused. But it looks like the recording is good, just the display on the watch and in Garmin connect is bad.

Children