This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't remove a stainless watch band/strap

I bought a Fenix 6X Sapphire last Wednesday. It's going great. Today I decided to try a Garmin stainless watchband from my old Fenix 3 as it's the same size. It fits but the problem is now I can't get it off again. The clearence between the lugs and the band is that small it's almost impossible to get anything in between and even then can't push the springbar end far enoufh to release it. Is this something a good watchmaker/jeweller would probably be able to do or should I send it to Garmin in the hope they can remove it.

• Any good watchmaker/jeweller should be able to remove the stainless bracelet, but it will involve destroying the fenix 6X springbars.  The problem arises when trying to replace the destroyed springbars with new ones.  As far as I can determine, and I have thoroughly searched the sources I have used for years, the 6X springbars are unique to Garmin.  There is no problem acquiring 26mm springbars, not even a problem sourcing a 26mm springbar with the proper diameter to work well with the QuickFit bands/bracelets; but there are no springbars available on the open market that have the same diameter end pins as the Garmin springbars.  This is important, especially since the springbar end pins are the part that fits into the holes in the polymer case.  If the end pins are too small in diameter, then there will be play between the springbars and the case, i.e. the springbars will be loose.  This will quickly result in excessive wear to the polymer case such that after the wear reaches a certain point, even Garmin springbars will not fit tightly anymore.

I have not contacted Garmin yet about sourcing just springbars from them, but it is on my to-do list - it's just a matter of time until I lose one and will need a replacement.  But if I were you, I would ask Garmin if they can provide you with a new set of springbars.  If they can, then you can bring the new springbars and your watch with the non-QuickFit stainless bracelet to a competent watchmaker/jeweller who will be able to remove the bracelet and replace your springbars which were sacrificed in the process with the new springbars from Garmin.

HTH

• Thank's for such a detailed reply. I feel a total idiot for even trying this strap. If I can manage to get a phone number for Garmin support here in the Uk will even ask if they can remove it. What worries me is the "competent watchmaker/jeweller" bit. I know some big jewellers around here but I don't know how competent they are. With such a snall gap I presume they would use something like a very fine saw blade. But as you say, I am then in the position of no replacement bars.

• I know. The Garmin Instinct in that matter is better engineered: its lugs are pierced.

I have found that issue when I have heard people using old Fenix 3 (not quickfit) steel bands on Fenix 6.
    Almost made the same mistake by ordering a Quatix titanium band for mine. 
    Those "old" steel bands (and titanium) got an "exterior" access to put and remove the bracelet thanks to a screw and two screwdrivers.
    When spring bars need a little space to move out of their holes/sockets and be dislodged.

Once thing which is missing in the Fenix 6 springbar transition is 4 drilled lugs like on the Instinct where you can remove the spring bars by pushing the with a little pin tool or even a toothpick.

So it should not a big deal to pierce through the lug to access the spring bars head and push it out.

Come on Garmin engineers ! It was just 4 little holes to push for each lugs.... Grrrr !!!

That will be a good reason to upgrade to the Fenix 6 Plus Serie !! ;-)

• I have contacted Garmin Support in the U.S. and they do not have spare springbars available yet.  They advised me that they are working on a "Repairable Parts List" for the fenix 6X which will include the springbars, but none are available yet.  They also advised that the springbars are, indeed, unique to the 6X.

As an alternative strategy, you might want to suggest to your watchmaker/jeweller that they cut a small slot on the back of your bracelet to allow access to the springbar so it can be removed without damage.  Probably only one side of the bracelet would require a slot to be cut as shown here outlined in red:

As the slot is on the backside of the bracelet, it would not be visible when worn.  It would also allow the safe removal of the springbar without damage.

Just a thought.

HTH

• I am surprised there are no spares available, I would have thought they would have quite a stock. Especially something like that. The idea of cutting a hole in the bracelet is a nice idea, but somehow I doubt I will find anyone with that sort of competence or even willing to risk it. I am prepared to sacrifice the bracelet and was prepared to sacrifice the pins.

I suspect it's going to have to sit in a drawer until spares become available either from Garmin or the competitive Chinese market.

• Hi Roblister,

did you find a solution to this stuck metal band?

Thanks

• I did ~ the same: installing a Fenix 5x band on my 6x. Looks nice... forever... since I can't remove it anymore.
    Fortunately I do like the black-metal Garmin band. But I may want to switch to something different somewhere in time.

I also feel quite stupid that I did this. But now it's the way it is. 

Maybe when spares are available that I try to find a solution.
    And in fact I'm not willing to offer the band nor the watch. Only the springbars.
    I may end up using this combination for the next decade ;)

Cheers, Peter

• Maybe when spares are available that I try to find a solution.

26mm spare springbars are now available from Garmin.  Part Number is S00-01339-00 for a pair.

If you call Garmin Support, they may ship you a pair for free.

HTH

• Solution found... kind of. First off I just want to say I did the same thing everyone else did, and my watch looked exactly like your picture. with my Fenix 3HR band on. I slipped the old band on with the spring pins and immediately realized my mistake. Then I took to google and wound up here.

Thanks to the contribution below I contacted Garmin customer support and ordered 2 pairs of the spring pins. On the internet I went out and ordered the Herkules 10/0 saw blades from Knew Concepts (https://www.knewconcepts.com/jewelers-saw-blades.php). Then I bought a saw frame for the blades on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VVQ4HPR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Once everything arrived I used about 6 blades (probably from poor technique using them) to cut off both pins and release the band. Success!

But, then I decided that I still wanted to use the watch band since Garmin wants $100+ for a new one... So I drilled a hole in the back of the old watch band then used a metal file to file to the hole so that I had a little access panel for the pin when it is installed. This being my first attempt it doesn't look great, but when you have it on you can't see it anyway.

All in all, what a disaster...

• Where there's a will, there's a way.  Good job!