Fenix 6X Sapphire - faulty OHR or software bug?

Hi!

I have bought Fenix 6X Sapphire on release day and after week of usage I am finding some strange OHR behaviour.

Previously I have owned Fenix 5 Performer and then Fenix 5X Plus Sapphire and found both OHR sensors reliable for my training (run and bike) and usual activities tracking.

It is a bit different story with Fenix 6X. For most of the time it seems to give fine readings: 55-something LHR during sleep, then 60-70 when resting, 70-110 when walking. When I have put it on the test during treadmill running I have got readings of 100-130, while it should give 150-160 (confirmed with treadmill HR sensor). Tried to move watch on my wrist, then switch the wrists, etc, but without resolving the problem - reading was always too low. Then I deactivated and then reactivated OHR in settings which resulted in another out-of-scale readings of 70-90 until end of training (should be 150-160).

I have read about OHR and PulseOx issues with F945 and decided to switch off PulseOx in my Fenix 6X and give some testing (not run training for the moment, just normal walks). To my surprise, on my last walk OHR started to give more funny readings: 140-170 during normal walk. Switched off the thing and restarted it and then it has started to show more proper readings of 80-90.

I am bit puzzled at the moment. I presume this is more of software bug and not faulty OHR sensor and I should wait for firmware update, but anyways: does someone has recoginized similar behaviour? Should I contact dealer and ask for replacement? Otherwise I am more than happy with F6X, especially with (finally!) snappy GPS when moving between building and trees.

Cheers!

• There can be so much. I have a mac computer. Incense I wonder if it can be related. Do you have windows or mac? It is hard for me to believe that in my case it is a hardware problem, since it is my second watch that only behaves incorrectly after an FW update outside of an activity. And when I start a profile, it shows the right values. Would that make a watch that has a broken sensor?

• I have pc. But i rarely connect my watch to pc. I use my phone app (pixel android phone). I dont see a connection of ohr sensor and pc/mac issue... 

• It could have been that Garmin has a bug in Express for Mac and the updates might go wrong.

• I have updates directly on my watch via wifi. Not over express. So i think express is not an issue in my case.

• So what can we do? Wait and hope that some day my OHR will start to work? For now I have removed HR data from all my screens in activities so it does not make mad all the time when I am out on activity, I ignore my HR data and everything related with that (calories etc), but I fell pretty stupid that I paid that much money for the watch that doesnt work as it should... Plus I dont have a feeling that Garmin gives a darn about that problem Slight smile

• So - I have the same issue as others - got a replacement watch that had the same issue.  I have asked Garmin to exchange for a Fenix 5 plus - this has the prior sensor and no pulse ox.  I had the fenix 5 before and it worked great.  I hate giving up the body battery, battery life and other improvements but the 6 is useless for the ohr when doing any activity - which is the point of the watch.  Very frustrated - maybe Garmin will get this fixed.  

• I requested that Garmin issue me a replacement with the Fenix 5 Plus - was a downgrade but I feel has a much better OHR - was changed with the 6.  I had a 5 before it worked well.  The MSRP was 150 less and they agreed to let me use that for something else from Garmin.  Not happy I am losing some new features like Body Battery and longer life but watch needs to fundamentally work.  

• I agree with you. I've been using Garmin watches for years. started with the fenix 3hr and then fenix 5x. I had no heart rate problems with either. The 6x is totally wrong with me. And that has nothing to do with the way I wear the watch.

• A common theory (other threads discuss) on why it reports low HR outside of activity is because sensor isn't sampling fast enough to conserve battery life.  I'm capped at ~120 as well outside of an activity.   I'd like to see a higher power option to remedy if this is indeed the root cause.  I could easily get HR > 120 if  running up a lot of stairs, etc. 

Part of the reason I purchased is because it gives real time HR updates in watch face -- pretty disappointing knowing I'm not see my actual peaks because of aggressive power management cutting into key features (again, assuming that's the reason...)