Sapphire vs Gorilla Glass - contrast/brightness/reflections

Hi guys,

anyone has seen Fenix 6 with Sapphire and Gorilla Glass next to each other? It is clear that sapphire is more scratch resistant but some people claim that sapphire is darker. I compared my old Fenix 3 sapphire with FR 645 and Fenix 5 with normal glass and I have to say that while there is slight difference under certain angles and lower light ... I would not call this significant at all. Most angles the two screens are near identical. Reflections seems kind of same as well. Anyone has pictures? Is Gorilla glass better from this point of view than the normal mineral glass on previous Garmin watches?

Thanks!

• support.garmin.com/.../

Can I use a screen protector with the fenix 6X Pro Solar?

Garmin does not recommend the use any kind screen protector, as it will reduce the solar intensity received by the Power Glass lens.”

• the uneven backlight isn't sapphire vs non sapphire. It is as all displays of Garmin really depending on which device you have not which model. I haven't really had any major problems here but I would say my sapphire 6S had a little bit of a more uneven backlight than the non sapphire 6s. But again I think it depends on the device you have not the model. I love the Fenix 6S but display quality on those and many I have seen here in pictures is really crap. 945 or even the way cheaper 245 have so much more contrast and a way better display. Quality control is non existent here. But still I love my 6S Pro non sapphire, just sent back the sapphire 6s! 

• Does anyone have pics of a Fenix 6 Sapphire next to a F6 non-sapphire with a tempered glass screen protector on? I would never use a non-Sapphire without a glass screen protector, but if the reflections are about the same either way I'll just stick with the Sapphire. I've compared to my 645 which is gorilla glass 3 (but no DX) and to my eye the reflections/contrast look about the same, although I haven't taken them outside to compare. 

• I am returning my sapphire as well. It is WAY too hard for me to read. The difference for my eyes was large. Indoors, I had to have the backlight on to read the sapphire. On the pro, it's not an issue.

• That's unreal.

I never think for a moment about my watch being difficult to read, too dark, too reflective, or anything close to that. It literally never crosses my mind. Only thought I have is, damn that's a good looking watch. There's a reason all the Marq watches come standard with sapphire. It has a much more refined look and feel, IMO.

To each their own I suppose, but coming from the 945, I love the Fenix 6 sapphire. 

• I understand this is not apples to apples as an Omega is 4x+ the cost of a Fenix but found this spec interesting.,,

CRYSTAL
    Domed scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides

• I think it also has something to do with display quality. A better contrast would make it much easier to read. As said other FGarmins have way better contrast and much more black contrast. Don't know why the expensive Fenix line have so bad displays. The contrast on almost all the Fenix I have seen is horrible. Maybe I didn't notice it that much when I had the 5S Sapphire a long time ago, and tested the 5S here also. Corning maybe did a great job of anti reflection with their DX glass. And possibly my eyes have gotten worse too. But I just wanna read what is on the display. If it was just for time I wouldn't really care as it is big enough. But for data and during workout indoors I need the right angle. And that is a Nogo for me during a workout. 

• I find the screen on my 6S Sapphire is prone to getting dirty easily, after a run it’s covered in tiny specks of what I assume is dried on sweat. Is shampoo / shower gel safe to use on the watch while I’m showering? Is there an oleophobic coating like on iPhone screens? It seems to bead water very effectively but it’s hard to keep clean.

• As a side note, where can I buy an open box F6? :) I’m reading a lot on here and you tube where a ton of people are buying 2 versions of F6 and are then returning at least one of them once they decide which one they’re keeping. Ha!
  • The Sapphire edition does it.  Just cannot see it in the photo.