Making connection with your computer

I'm having problems with the connection between my Fenix 5x and my computer.  I already had some problems in the past but they last only a few moments.  But now I can't get connected.  The watch is charging and the watch vibrates when I connect it.  But then nothing happens or at the most my computer says the USB-device is not recognised.  Anyone else also has this problem?

• Solved.  I don't if it's the solution, but after making the connection with my phone I tried to make the connection again with my computer and now it seems to work.

• I had a similar issue where the watch sometimes wouldn't enumerate on USB.  The issue was dirty contacts on the back of the watch.  The contacts have little indents in them for the pogo pins in the connecting cable, and they like to fill with grime.  Swap them out with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol, and it should fix the issue.

• Yesterday I had some serious problems again.  My watch also doesn't sync when I use the app on my phone.  In the end I managed to sync my watch by using an older 2 in 1 laptop.  I tried it once and I was immediately succesfull.  But I was wondering if there's a way to connect to your laptop via bleutooth instead of the cable?

• I was just lucky yesterday.  Today it's also not working on my older 2 in 1 laptop

• I had to use the rubbing alcohol once to make the connection.  Before I could manage without.  Using the rubbing alcohol was good to make the connection litteraly once.  Today I have the same problem, but the rubbing alcohol doesn't seem to work.  I even used rubbing alcohol for the cable.

• Just noticed there's probably a little pin that broke off on the cable.  Let's hope it only that.

• Just tested a new cable and it seems the cable was the problem.

• A faulty connection has the following effects: Watch can no longer be charged, data can no longer be exchanged between computer and watch, the watch can no longer be synchronized, the computer does not recognize the watch when it is plugged in, etc...

With my first two Fenix 5x, I had corrosion on the USB connector. Now, after 6 months, I have problems with synchronization from the watch to the computer. To find the reason, I analyzed the quality of the transmission trough the connector contacts.

A USB port has four wires: Two for the power supply (the two outer contacts on the USB connector) and two for the signal (the two inner contacts on the USB connector).

As a former electronic engineer and lecturer at a university of applied sciences, I built a measuring device to check the contact properties of the different cables with the watch. For this purpose, I measured the ohmic resistance between two connections (inner and outer contacts). The watch must be switched of. The normal value of the resistance is about 2 Mega Ohm to 6 mega Ohm.

My measurement results show clearly: With the original cable (40 cm) from Garmin, contact problems occur after a certain time (e.g. 6 months). This is probably due to mechanical wear in the transition from watch-socket to cable-plug. This explains the problem: The plugs are not spring-loaded. A spring would compensate for the play of wear.

Since the cable can be inserted in two ways, the results will vary depending on the direction of insertion.

With a new 1 m replacement cable there were no failures.

A faulty connection has the following effects: Watch can no longer be charged, data can no longer be exchanged between computer and watch, the watch can no longer be synchronized, the computer does not recognize the watch when it is plugged in, etc...

Conclusion: Replacing the watch and the cable solves the problem only temporarily. In addition, the user must laboriously reconfigure the watch.

The only long-term solution would be to offer a plug-cable with spring-loaded contacts.

• The plugs are not spring-loaded.
    The only long-term solution would be to offer a plug-cable with spring-loaded contacts.

Yes, but I wonder that my 3 years old original charging cable has already sping loaded pins. I've just checked it once more by light pressing the pins and they bounce back due to springs. If your watch is only 6 month old, I don't understand why you've fixed pins.