FENIX 5 PLUS NAVIGATION THROUGH WAYPOINTS

Hello everyone,

I ve been just trying to understand if it's possible to skip a waypoint during a navigation.

I have been using the garmin for hiking, flying, and mountaneering, and usually I got different waypoints to follow or just to pass by, so if I overtake the first waypoint, how can I switch to the second one? even if not automatically, is there anything I can do to switch to the second waypoint?

I usually use the Tactics app with a preloaded GPX course, or I create a new course on the garmin fenix 5 plus itself, using different points.

Any Help? Thanks in advance

• Any time you are running a GPX course, your watch will always take you waypoint to waypoint without an option to skip a waypoint.

• ok, thanks,and is there a way to skip, fixing a proximity? I mean...If I am overflying the point, and I just pass by 1 mile for example, does it switch directly to the next? If I am not precisely over it?

• Yep.

But keep in mind some difference

When using tcx or fit files for that purpose you won't use waypoints but course_points. 
    Several apps & softwares including Garmin's Basecamp handle GPX/waypoints but few ones tcx/fit/course_points. 

I can't believe Garmin doesn't and I have never got an explanation of why...

Your better chance now is to use Plotaroute with some adjustments as follow:

Type

Garmin

ST3(*)

ST3 warnings(*)

Plota-Symbol

Plota-Arrow

generic

none

none

summit

Mountain

none

valley

water

Drinking Water

none

food

Food

none

danger

>05 danger

Warning

none

left

>06 left

none

Left

right

>07 right

none

Right

straight

>08 straigth

None

Straight on

first_aid

first_aid

none

fourth_category

third_category

second_category

first_category

hors_category

sprint

Runners

none

left_fork

n/a

right_fork

n/a

middle_fork

n/a

slight_left

>19 slight_left

none

Bear left

sharp_left

>20 sharp_left

none

sharp_left

slight_right

>21 slight_right

none

Bear right

sharp_right

>22 sharp_right

none

Sharp right

u_turn

>23 u-turn

none

Turn back

segment_start

>24 segment_start

segment_end

>25 segment_end

* ST3 stands for Sporttracks , the best option but unfortunately it has  been discontinued .

Regards,

• I relly tried a lot to use waypoints in some way in my Fenix, but I can´t make it work.

When I doing a route I get the directions but fields like "Time to next point" or "Km to next point" are always in blank. I tried basecamp, create a route in connect, put some POIs, but I not understand how to use it.

With Plotaroute is possible to do that? it´s a free software?

• You have to make your course with waypoint with Garmin Connect and then download your route as a fit-file.  Then you have to manually (read: treat your watch as an external memory) put that file under the "courses"-folder on your watch.  So don't put your course on your watch by using basecamp or "send to device" on Garmin Connect.

• Toady I went for a run on a crouse I made with waypoints every 5km.  After about 500m I took a wrong turn and I turned back after about 50m on that wrong road (I had to run on this part only after more then 15km).  After that the name of the next waypoint was "20km" and not "5km".  It stayed like this until I really passed the 20km-point.  In my case I didn't want to skip the waypoints but I automatically did.  I made my route by uploading a KML-file on Garmin Connect and then adding waypoints.  Then I downloaded it as fit-file and manually put it on my fenix 5x.

What would have happened if i used Plotaroute?