Worth buying a Fenix 5x?

Hi,

I've been debating about buying a renewed Fenix 5X for around $319. I also been debating about if I really need it. I figured it would be good to have topo maps and maps while I am on a mountain with my job or just in the woods doing forestry work; but then I figured I also had a smartphone for that.I can look at maps with. I also thought it would be nice to watch my health, but do I really need to?

I am around 50% debating about getting one, but the other 50% I am not. I saw the new 6X is out, but I don't think it is logical to spend $800 on one..even though the screen is bigger.

Is the 5x accurate?

Any suggestions?

• Is the 5x accurate? In the open? Yes it is. In the woods or between tall buildings? Absolutely not when you compare it to a hand held GPS or smartphone.

Having said that, It's good when it works. You don't have to keep fumbling with you phone, you can just look at your watch. But when the GPS position gets stuck (without any indication that the GPS positions isn't updating), it can be even dangerous in the woods.

EDIT: Here is a post about 5S accuracy, but you will find my 5x examples if you scroll down a bit: https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-5-series/169818/terrible-gps-accuracy---what-is-going-on-with-my-fenix-5

Other people have had better experiences than me, but most people would agree that a mobile phone has better accuracy.

• So, what is my next option? Not worry about it? My job, I am in the woods and they can get thick.

• Get a 5x for maps? I wouldn’t do it. It’s slow and cumbersome compared to a smartphone.

Get it for health features? Don’t know. It produces data for sleep and stress. I don”t think these data is accurate or useful. Others think they are. You probably know if you sleep enough and what can you do if your watch says you only have 1 hour deep sleep. Try harder to sleep deep? 

Barometer and thermometer are no very accurate. Ohr is only useful for 24/7 not very good for workouts.

A 5x is a fine watch for workouts (if you are serious about workouts get the lighter forerunner 935). It has some nice features for hiking. And at the moment you can buy it for a reasonable price. A 6x is definitly overpriced.

Just my 2 cents

• So basically, these watches are a waste of money..

• No, they are not a waste of money - just not suitable for your case ;)

If I had the same use-case as yours I’d be looking at the GPSMAP line of devices

• Like my smartphone or handheld gps? I was liking the idea of having maps on my wrist.

• I like my Fenix 5X! I am a Trailrunner and Hiker in the Swiss-Alps. I Use very intensive the map function to find my way. Before I start an activity I load the wanted path on the watch. Before I used the Fenix watch I used an handheld Garmin like the GPSmap 64 or the Etrex 30.But now it is much more comfortable to be on the way. And I had never problems with trees or canyon.

• That’s not the point jm_zogg. Sure like your 5x. But you are a trailrunner/hiker looking for a trailrunner/hiker watch.

wildandfirefighter is looking for maps on his wrist as a replacement for maps on a smartphone.

let’s try to give advise and not promote some watch

(btw, my forerunner 935 doesn’t have maps but following a gpx trail is no problem without maps)

• I always use maps on the Fenix 5X! Garmin-Maps, OSM-Maps and (self-made) Custom-Maps. The accuracy of those Maps is excellent. Fenix 5X is the only device from the Fenix-Family using maps. I personally never use a smartphone for outdoor activities navigation. The reason: battery life time, rain and coldness.

The size of the map on the watch is limited, but enough for me.

In case of emergency, or technical problems I have always a second Garmin device with me on board, mostly a GPXmap 64.

I am an outdoor enthusiast. I am not associated with the Garmin company and I am a trainer for the Swiss Alpine Club.

• I am with JM the watch works great and keeps you on the trail gives you warning if your off trail I use Gaia to map out my routes and it syncs over to explorer and onto my watch super easy. Phones are a nightmare try hiking 12 to 14 hours with your phone gps no thanks the watch is the way to go last forsure all day and can recharge with battery back fast keeping your phone battery in better shape and powered if you ever need a bigger map view but also always have a paper map never leave home without it. The watch is easy to see and light to use that you don't have to keep your phone out at all. But do your hike if you don't have money to buy a watch use your phone and paper map but if you do just makes life easier and lighter. Also if I was in heavy woods the watch would be great will last you all day and you could set up a way point so no matter how turned around you get you could nav right there when your done.  You could also take a barring with it before going out so you know the way to head back at the end of the day you also save your battery on that phone just in case you need it. I don't work for Garmin but I am stoked on this watch. I use it for hiking, running and like to know how fast I am going on my snowboard having to use a battery bank to charge a phone takes much more juice then the watch also the rain, snow and cold the watch will take it all