Fenix 5X issues after 15.10 update

Experiencing the following issues after updating software to 15.10. 

1. Battery drain has increase approx 2% more than with the previous update. I can live with this for now, but will have issues during our future multi day backpacking trips.

2. Unable to sync with connect via smartphone. Have to connect to Garmin Express via computer to sync. When attempting to sync with Garmin Connect, the sync initiates and gets stuck about 1/3 through the sync resulting in a timeout failure. Soft reset watch, removed Garmin Connect app from phone and reinstalled several times with no success. 

This is the 1st time I have been unable to solve issues with the watch related to updates, etc. Any assistance would be appreciated.

• I found that I had to cancel the sync and set up the phone manually first and only then would the sync with the phone get done. The first one with the phone not set up always failed for me too.

• Since December 2019 my Fenix 5X GPS is very eratic.  Was always very good.  Not sure if this relates to the latest software upgrades?  Any other issues in this regards?

• Contacted tech support and they had me do several things with the device and stated that there was an apparent hardware failure and would send me a refurbished replacement. It has been 6 months since I bought it new and now I will be stuck with a refurbished unit. Wondering how long that will last. Besides the battery drain, sync issue, and also HR sensor cracking, I am having regrets in investing in this watch. I have no other option, but to either suck it up and buy the 6 model, move to another brand, or give the refurb a try. Disappointed to say the least.

• Same here. Also pool swimming does not work with pedometer anymore.

• I would recommend you move to another brand. I’ve had my fenix 5 for a couple of years now and the software and data has been completely unreliable. All the advanced features seem to change in terms of the values they are reporting after each update, many breaking completely and require fixing again the following update. 

It is an absolute myth that the garmin watches help you monitor and track your fitness accurately. To do that they need accurate data, not data which breaks and changes each time an update is released. They have so many advanced features but are unable to record data to any degree of accuracy which will make them useful.

intensity minutes - unreliable

heart rate - unreliable during intense activity

VO2 max - unreliable

Training effect - unreliable

Recovery period - random number

Physio True up - Works sometimes and not others, so data is useless.

GPS - Ok but drifts off track too easily

Time - Good, but that is also the case for a £2 watch bought from a service station

Battery life - good

I think after persevering for over 2 years I’ve given the Fenix 5 a good trial. The wealth of features make people want to like it and trust the data. It is, however, pretty useless without being able to produce reliable data.

• So my watch ran an auto update to v15.10 yesterday morning. Since then its all screwed up. It shut itself off, when I booted it up the battery display jumps all over the place, 65%, 4% 80% (It should actually be around 90% after being fully charged the day before) randomly making up numbers. It wont stay on. I connected to garmin express to try and see what's going on. The watch simply displays the charging/flat battery symbol. It) but the display stays black. I am very annoyed about this, it never gave me a days bother since I got it around six months ago until now. I emailed customer services but have not had a response yet. PLEASE HELP!!

I checked and cleaned charger contacts never had any problems before, too much of a coincidence. The update has bricked my watch!!

• So my watch ran an auto update to v15.10 yesterday morning.

If you have a 5X, a fix was published 2 weeks ago, 15.20. Find it here: Fenix 5X 15.20

• My watch (Fenix 5s) won’t now talk to any computer (Mac or windows) I can’t do anything to run any kind of update or software change. The battery is too flat despite being left to charge for many hours. 

• The silence from customer services is deafening. Still no response. 

• So finally, garmin customer services replied a week after it happened. Arranged a replacement/exchange unit. 
    During the auto update, the firmware somehow corrupted itself. The battery is fully charged but yet the software is not detecting this. It thinks the battery is critically low so won’t boot up. 
    i.e. it bricked itself. 
    Thankfully it’s still got 6 months warranty left, I wouldn’t be happy if this happened outside of the warranty period. Lesson learned, I’m not updating in future.