Navigating a trail on the fly?

Hi,

I recently purchased the Fenix 5.  We frequently go on hiking trips with the Boy Scouts.  While most are planned, sometimes I don't have the info before the hike begins.  Is there a way to navigate a trail (A.T.) without pre-programming the trip?  I've mapped some trips prior to going, but I want to be able to navigate a trail and set destinations on the fly.  FYI - When I tried this, it gives me the distance "as the crow flies."

Also, what does purchasing the Appalachian Trail map for $50 get me that I don't have already?

Thanks in advance,

George

• Hi George.

To get other than a 'straight line' or 'crow-flies' or 'direct' distance, I think you need a routable map, and you also need to have set your 'routing' preference to something other than 'direct'. (If you have 'direct' routing selected you always get 'crow-flies' distances regardless of whether that map is routable or not.) Also make sure that the particular map is configured to be used. They can be deselected.

Now, to set the routing preference is a pain, in my opinion, because you actually have to start your Navigation activity before you can do it. (Anyone want to point out a better way of getting at the settings, please correct me).

Then you 'long-press' the 'menu' button, scroll down to 'Navigate Settings' and select it  (NOT Navigation Settings) then

scroll down to 'Routing' and select it, then select 'Activity' and then scroll around between 'Direct', 'Automobile' .... 'Hiking' is probably the one you want, although 'Cycling' and 'Pedestrian' and 'Mountaineering' also appear and who knows what the difference is? It probably depends on the type of routing the map you are using can do. There may not be any difference... (Anyone?)

Oh, and of course, you can select which map you are using. It is also in the same 'Navigate Settings' under 'Maps'->'Configure Maps' It's interesting to see that you can have more than one map active at a time.

As for how to get hold of a routable map, that's interesting. My watch came installed with a 'cycling' map of Australia that is routable and many of the hike trails I walk or run are included, but also many are not. I also have imported third-party OSM routable maps, such as for Britain when I did the Coast-to-Coast hike there. I find that if a path is well known, (such as the Appalachian) there  is likely to be a routable Garmin-compatible map for it somewhere, sometimes for free. I often simply use 'Direct' routing over short-ish distances when I am hiking off-trail or on a trail that none of my maps can actually route. I just found https://hikingguy.com/hiking-gear/how-to-get-free-garmin-gps-maps-for-hiking/  that has a discussion of USA OSM (Open Street Maps) that might be applicable to you, and they have a link to instructions for installing on Garmin devices including Fenix 5X.

It is possible (likely?) that the Appalachian Trail map you mention is routable and it may be that that is what you get that you don't already have. But check first, if you can that it is actually routable for hiking. (You'd hope so....)

One more thing... A number of us have been complaining to Garmin for years that there is a broken feature in the Navigation Activity to do with showing you the elevation profile for a 'direct' route. I think that routes chosen along actual paths may not be affected but I'd check it before relying on it. See the issue discussed at https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-5-series/139809/projected-elevation-profile-still-wrong-since-v-7-10-when-navigating-a-route

Feel free to complain bitterly at Garmin about it...

• Definately check the link for OSM.  Not sure of your location but I use US Northeast OSM Topo and it is routable.  I "think" you can do what you want with that map selected on the watch.  I don't know for a fact though.  Of course now I am curious.  ...Better get my hiking gear.