Fenix 5 Series - 14.73 Beta Release

We have new beta software ready for your upcoming adventures!

Fenix 5s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11661
Fenix 5: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11663
Fenix 5x: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11665

Note: Please allow for the updates to propagate across all servers. There is no need to post that the link does not work. It will after a bit of patience.

14.73 Change Log Notes:

• Added support for inReach display verification, when using authentication.
  • Fixed an issue where the Last Sport widgets were not displaying information for the most recent activity.
  • Fixed an intermittent issue where the device would display a distance of 0, when navigating to a point right after a power cycle. (Fenix 5X only)
  • Made other miscellaneous code improvements and bug fixes.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the fenix 5 series you have in the subject line.

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

• Did you record the cycling with the watch? If so can you see the map in the history? If so, try to start app cycling - menu - navigation - activities. Can you choose it now? 

• To all who have battery problems, add the device usage widget to see what drains the battery. (It’s in every beta)

• Did you record the cycling with the watch? If so can you see the map in the history? If so, try to start app cycling - menu - navigation - activities. Can you choose it now? 

Yes, with fenix5, at least one after the last factory reset. There are more in the history.

No, no maps in the History included (the other last ones from the history do not show a map either) - this is interesting, I have to check that with another test activity, will do some walking.

Tried it anyway, the same result.

But, let me tell you: If I go Apps - Navigate - Saved Location, I get a screen telling me No Saved Location. I'd expect something similar if there are no Activities to navigate. But screen loop IMHO is not how it's supposed to be.

• To all who have battery problems, add the device usage widget to see what drains the battery.

I have done that but unfortunately I'm not wiser. To me it tells nothing. Nothing I can blame or does it?

BTW, with these stats the battery is currently 47%.

• that sound's strange. if there are no maps, maybe the normal does not have this view. otherwise, if i have not maps, i know, that there is only the values from physio true up on the watch. tryed to save a new location? if it is saved to the watch?

• In observing the increased battery consumption I tested several scenarios, never disabling HR since that is important to me, and nothing was saving battery. One day after doing the last beta install, my watch did not reconnect to the phone but I was initially unaware. I kept observing that it had remained at 100% for an unusually long time and wondered if the update had improved battery life. I later realized that the watch was not connected to the phone. As soon as I reconnected, the now normal batter drain resumed. I think the biggest new drain on the battery is simply the connection to the phone and possibly the amount of data being transferred or just the power cost of the connection. It is not bad enough for me (1 week of battery life) to disconnect from the phone but my current theory is the watch/phone connection is the culprit.  

11:00 45% (Settings - Phone Off)
    14:00 41% (3h, 4%) 1,3%~h > 4,5x

Not there...

• 11:00 45% (Settings - Phone Off)
    14:00 41% (3h, 4%) 1,3%~h > 4,5x

Interesting. Very different for me. 
    10:50 pm - 96.5% (Phone disconnected)
    5:50 am - 95.9% (7h, 0.4%) 0.57% per hour

Now that was OHR on during sleep. I will try again during the day

• BUG: This 14.73 beta could not install itself.
    Device: Garmin Fenix 5 with software version 14.20.

I tried several times following the exact instructions.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Connect device to computer (fenix battery 77%)
    2. Copy 14.73 files to the corresponding folders (e.g. TEXT and REMOTESW)
    3. Disconnect device from Windows desktop then unplug it
    4. Device automatically reboots
    5. After reboot, check menu "Settings" > "Product info": Still software version 14.20!
    6. Connect device to computer
    7. Check folders: Update files are still present
    No log file or any message to help diagnosing...
    Any idea?
  • ok, sounds really like a defective battery "in my opinion" have my watch now running 4 days, 22 hours witch 2 hours GPS. everything allways on, (notifications, OHR, ...) and still have exactly 50% battery left right now. 

i think, i don't have to ask, if you are using the stock watch face? or have tryed  to reset it. (think you allready wrote that).